• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone feel like taking a stab at Guessing the Grade on a SLQ? (GRADE POSTED)

32 posts in this topic

Well shoot, maybe I am off my rocker but it looks lightly rubbed to me. I'll guess MS-61 FH.

James_EarlyUS, I respect your answer as your web article on Standing Liberty Quarters 'A discussion of "full head" vs. "full shield" coins' is one of the best I've ever read on the series...

Yet could you still kindly point out the area's of rubbage your seeing? hm

Well shoot, maybe I am off my rocker but it looks lightly rubbed to me. I'll guess MS-61 FH.

James_EarlyUS, I respect your answer as your web article on Standing Liberty Quarters 'A discussion of "full head" vs. "full shield" coins' is one of the best I've ever read on the series...

Not to speak for James but at first glance I shared his opinion.

I see chatter along the neck, drapery of the shield, the top of the date and wing bone. These are all high points so I interpreted it as rub. The fields are remarkably clean and the strike is certainly above average.

Not to speak for James but at first glance I shared his opinion.

I see chatter along the neck, drapery of the shield, the top of the date and wing bone. These are all high points so I interpreted it as rub. The fields are remarkably clean and the strike is certainly above average.

For this date and mint mark:

1) The top of the date is usually very weak .

2) The softness you see on the shield is also normal for this date.

3) The eagles breast feathers will not be full

From the picture I though the strike on this coin was better than average.

I interpreted the variance in tone to be rub. If there is clearly no rub under personal inspection, then it is an easy MS-66 (FH)!

1920-D PCGS OGH more info soon :)

289d5ky.jpg2gvn9sz.jpg

If your an ATS member and know the grade... Please resist the urge! ;)

The URGE is strong - and the BODY is weak...

What's my NickName for you ??? " MR.-----"

:whistle:

If your an ATS member and know the grade... Please resist the urge! ;)

The URGE is strong - and the BODY is weak...

What's my NickName for you ??? " MR.-----"

:whistle:

MR.AU64 :eyeroll:

Thanks everyone as here's the final tally on this guess the grade full head 20-D =

3 @ MS66

7 @ MS65

8 @ MS64

2 @ MS63

1 @ MS61

The PCGS OGH 20-D is actually a duplicate AU58FH which I brought with me to the Philly Whitman a few weeks ago and showed to 6 prominent dealers who stated it was a minimum of MS62-63FH and never saw the inside of a pocket.

Elbesaar's actually to blame for getting me into trying to do a AU64FH set of SLQ's...

It's been a VERY slow project to find matching examples! :(

Like my primary 1920-D ICG AU58FH :)

209g70i.jpg