• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

double profile? double struck? capped bust halves any information on websites?

8 posts in this topic

are they common or rare?/

are particular dates rarer than others?

i take it they were struck twice in collar?

if the coin is a double profile with doubled stars then how is it that none of the reverse lettering and devices dentials are doubled??

There are a number of die marriages that feature a double profile, but I don't know which ones off the top of my head. You might want to check out CoinZip,com as there are good photos of almost every die marriage there.

Double struck CBH's are EXTREMELY rare and also very cool if you find them. The doubling you seem to be referring to is actually Machine Doubling, which is when the obverse die moves a little during striking giving a doubling effect. It was not struck twice! There are examples of Machine Doubling from almost every year.

The 1820 O-108 is actually a "Doubled Die" (Class IV error.) The Hub (Eagle/Olive Branch/Arrows) was pressed into the working die and when it was pressed a second time, it was off by a little doubling some of the features. This doubling is in the die itself.

The doubling you seem to be referring to is actually Machine Doubling, which is when the obverse die moves a little during striking giving a doubling effect. It was not struck twice! There are examples of Machine Doubling from almost every year.

The first steam coin press was operated at the Philly Mint on March 22, 1836, this was the first day Machine Doubling ever occurred.

The doubling you seem to be referring to is actually Machine Doubling, which is when the obverse die moves a little during striking giving a doubling effect. It was not struck twice! There are examples of Machine Doubling from almost every year.

The first steam coin press was operated at the Philly Mint on March 22, 1836, this was the first day Machine Doubling ever occurred.

Machine doubling happened with the screw press as well. All those double profiles are examples.

100_2108.jpg

Machine doubling happened with the screw press as well. All those double profiles are examples.

100_2108.jpg

so this 1823 is just machine doubling??

also are there any capped bust halves like the 1825 with the double profile but have a totally hammered strike details 100% and also the stars on the left side are also doubled??

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and also great snwers i appreciate it

100_2108.jpg

so this 1823 is just machine doubling??

also are there any capped bust halves like the 1825 with the double profile but have a totally hammered strike details 100% and also the stars on the left side are also doubled??

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and also great answers i appreciate it

Michael, the best source of info on CBH's (everything you need to know) is Edgar Soudar's book, Bust Half Fever. It goes into detail about strike, errors, production, rarity, and whatever else you can think of. He has a web site from which you may order. I would recommend getting a copy (there is a digital copy available as well) for you will refer to it more often than you think.