• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The “WOW! Factor” Was Missing.

15 posts in this topic

Recently I’ve been doing some tire kicking on the three 1913 Barber coins (dime, quarter and half dollar) in Proof. My objective is to assemble a 1913 Proof set since I now have the cent and the two nickels.

At a recent show I spotted a 1913 Barber Quarter in PCGS gold shield PR-65. From the technical grade angle the coin was right on. It had original surfaces and no hairlines that I could see. The trouble was it had spotty toning with some spots that I found unattractive. It also had a “dead spot” on the obverse where the toning had killed off the Proof surface. The price was $3,500, which is double the Gray Sheet bid and well ahead of the quote of $2,300 cited in “Coin Values” magazine. The “Coin Values” price for PR-66 is $3,500 so the price was the one for the next highest grade on the retail level.

I have paid prices like this some coins. I had a “WOW!” moment when I saw this 1800 half dime in MS-64, full strike. This 1913 quarter did not get my pulses running at all, especially at that price.

1800V-164O.jpg1800V-164R.jpg

Are people really paying huge premiums for Gold Shield PCGS graded coins? If they are, my comment is, it's not going to last if they are like this piece. The coin was okay for the grade, but that was it. There was no "WOW!" :banana:

Recently I’ve been doing some tire kicking on the three 1913 Barber coins (dime, quarter and half dollar) in Proof. My objective is to assemble a 1913 Proof set since I now have the cent and the two nickels.

At a recent show I spotted a 1913 Barber Quarter in PCGS gold shield PR-65. From the technical grade angle the coin was right on. It had original surfaces and no hairlines that I could see. The trouble was it had spotty toning with some spots that I found unattractive. It also had a “dead spot” on the obverse where the toning had killed off the Proof surface. The price was $3,500, which is double the Gray Sheet bid and well ahead of the quote of $2,300 cited in “Coin Values” magazine. The “Coin Values” price for PR-66 is $3,500 so the price was the one for the next highest grade on the retail level.

I have paid prices like this some coins. I had a “WOW!” moment when I saw this 1800 half dime in MS-64, full strike. This 1913 quarter did not get my pulses running at all, especially at that price.

1800V-164O.jpg1800V-164R.jpg

Are people really paying huge premiums for Gold Shield PCGS graded coins? If they are, my comment is, it's not going to last if they are like this piece. The coin was okay for the grade, but that was it. There was no "WOW!" :banana:

If that's what the coin is worth to them, yes.

A plain gold shield on the slab means that it has been scanned using their high tech gizmo. It doesn't mean PQ - that is only the +. There should be absolutely zero premium for the shield.
And I certainly wouldn't read anything into what one seller quotes on one coin.

A plain gold shield on the slab means that it has been scanned using their high tech gizmo. It doesn't mean PQ - that is only the +. There should be absolutely zero premium for the shield.

Speaking of "+", do you remember when experts said that the use of the "+" sign for grading was inappropriate? I guess it's okay if it becomes part of the marketing plan. At any rate there are differences within grading numbers, especially for very scarce to rare coins so I don't have a huge problem with it.

Yea, I wouldn't pay any premium for the gold shield, not sure on the plus as I have yet to see any in person.

On another note, that 1800 HD... that is a WOW coin!!

Hi Bill

Is the 1913 a brith year set for yourself :baiting::roflmao:

His great great great grandfather.

Chris

No, I might be getting to be as old as dirt, but I'm not quite that old. My father was born in 1914 however, and a very dear aunt was born in 1913. Both have now passed on.

Hi Bill

Is the 1913 a brith year set for yourself :baiting::roflmao:

His great great great grandfather.

Chris

No, I might be getting to be as old as dirt, but I'm not quite that old. My father was born in 1914 however, and a very dear aunt was born in 1913. Both have now passed on.

You would probably still be in diapers if it was for your g-g-g-grandfather.

Chris

Speaking of "+", do you remember when experts said that the use of the "+" sign for grading was inappropriate? I guess it's okay if it becomes part of the marketing plan.

Yes I do, as it is explicitly stated in my official ANA Grading Guide that use of plus and minus signs is not acceptable in association with grades.

That 1800 1/2 dime is absolutely AWESOME. That was a real pleasure to look at and certainly something that you don't see very often. Thanks for posting it! :applause:

I have one early walker that has a PCGS gold shield but it is not a plus. It is a MS64 and I rather like it, b/c the strike on it is FAR superior to other coins of that issue. It has darker toning around the borders, which is not the greatest looking, but it is not unattractive either (centers are mostly white). It also has an abrasion in the very center of the obv., which is slightly distracting, to me, but may not be to others, however, the strike and original luster seem to really compensate for it as well. This coin has NEVER been dipped and the fields are very smooth and clean (above motto, etc).

I got it for a great price on Heritage. I was the bidder who met the reserve (just shy of greysheet bid) and the price never went above that, which is a down-right RARE occurance in a Heritage auction. It is an unusual coin but, as I say, I rather like it and the price was SOO right.