• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The NGC Slab Inserts with "Fingers"

14 posts in this topic

I photograph most of my coins.

Many of those photos show up in my NGC Registry Sets.

The NGC slab inserts with the "fingers" REALLY make the images look terrible when circular cropped to a coin's edge.

And the smaller the coin the worse it looks.

I just did some Capped Bust half cents and ... yuck.

Does NGC offer the option of using the older slab inserts without the fingers?

If not, I suggest they consider it seriously.

BTW, here's an example of what I'm talking about:

10hf-1836-Lg5-Final-txt.jpg

Despite some disadvantages, those holders allow for a better view of the coin. For imaging purposes, why not do less cropping, which will end up showing a bit of the prongs, but more of the coin?

IMHO, the prongs are much better than the old holders that seal in completely the rims. I don't see how they make the images look bad, here is one of mine, my only half dime with prongs, I don't really notice the prongs in the photos, I'll take prongs over a disappearing rim any day.......

1834hdimeNGCAU55comp.jpg

1834hdNGCAU53reflcomp.jpg

The problem is that for some reason, whatever software you are using has somehow bled the black bacground into the white pronged area. If left as their original white, the prongs are scarcely noticeable, and MUCH less invasive than if the entire rim were engulfed by the white plastic of the older slabs, or the gooey gloppy insert of a PCGS slab.

To me, in every meaningful manner, the new prongs were and are a vast improvement over the old inserts. That includes for imaging purposes.

I cannot, for the life of me, understand why so many people around here are such staunch defendants of the prongs. Are they somewhat of an improvement over the previous holders? Ok, sure, but that doesn't make these things miracle holders. HOW FREAKING HARD IS IT TO DESIGN A HOLDER THAT DOESN'T COVER UP PART OF THE BLOODY COINS IT'S DESIGNED TO DISPLAY?

i love the pronged holder for half dollar and larger coins and for eagles and larger gold coins and hate it for anything smaller and of course an improvement over the older non pronged holder that literially swallowed the coins smaller than quarter size

but

in my opinion use a clear but a more tapered insert like ncs is still using (used to use?) this is much better than the new pronged holder

I have to admit, for viewing the coins, the fingers are nice, when the coin is larger. Small coins unfortunately have a larger percentage of the coin covered. The way the first photo has the white fingers blacked out makes it look worse than it really is though. It is frustrating to take pictures of a pronged coin, but if you and the person you are taking the picture for know this upfront, then you just do the best you can.

Bob, I love your result! And I agree with you on coins that you are going to keep, but if you are going to sell a coin, it has to look like what's in the slab. Just my own personal thought.

Despite some disadvantages, those holders allow for a better view of the coin. For imaging purposes, why not do less cropping, which will end up showing a bit of the prongs, but more of the coin?

+1 :applause:

I agree, this should only be used for coins intended to stay in your collection, but is an alternative for those who don't like the look of the prongs. BTW, the coin that I previously posted was also from Dean's beautiful set of proof Indians.

securedownload1.jpgsecuredownload2.jpg