• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A New Duchy of Saxony Thaler

12 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

Here’s a new addition to my collection, a 1796 Thaler from the German Duchy of Saxony featuring Duke Friedric August III:

415648-2.JPG

The obverse legend proclaims his title of Duke and Elector and the reverse legend that the coin confirms to the monetary convention. In 1806 Friedric August traded received a promotion becoming King Friedric August I. This coin resides in an NGC AU58 holder, properly in my opinion.

Some of you may ask, “Hey JamminJ, what’s this German dude doing among your collection of Austrian and Holy Roman Empire coins?” Well, I’ll tell ya…

The Holy Roman Emperor was elected through majority vote of the senior princes of the empire designated as Electors. Originally there were seven electors as laid down in the constitution of the empire, the Golden Bull of 1356. These electors were:

1. Archbishop of Mainz

2. Archbishop of Trier

3. Archbishop of Cologne

4. King of Bohemia

5. Count Palatine of the Rhine

6. Duke of Saxony

7. Margrave of Brandenburg

Here's a page from the Golden Bull:

415643-golden_bull.jpg

As time went on other electors joined the college including the Duke of Bavaria, Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg (later called Hannover), anda f ew others during the Napoleonic Wars which never had the opportunity to exercise their vote. However, you can see that as one of the Electors of the Empire old Friedric August III fits right in with my main theme! Eventually I would like to have at least one nice silver coin from each of the electorates.

Comments are welcome,

-JamminJ

Very, very nice coin. thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif You realize you may go broke within he next year buying sooooooooo many nice coins. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

TRUTH

Thanks for your concern! I've been selling off my US coins to support my thaler buying so I can keep up the pace for a few more months at least!

Did your deal for Mexican Revolution coins come through?

-JamminJ

The mexican deal, well. I kinda got screwed. I was told to expect tons of graded coins for sale. Waited 2.5 months. Got to see a preview of the high end. The coin I wanted the most was very nice. Came in 2.5 months later. What coins???? The nicest piece mysteriously disappeared into oblivion. Very disappointed. frown.gif

TRUTH

Sorry to hear that, Truth. frown.gif

You piqued my interest in those coins, maybe next time.

-JamminJ

Thanks for your concern! I've been selling off my US coins to support my thaler buying so I can keep up the pace for a few more months at least!

-JamminJ

Another winner JJ 893applaud-thumb.gif

Ya know - I've considered doing what you are - selling off my US collection. But somehow - I just can't bring myself to do it confused-smiley-013.gif

That's where I started this 40 some years ago - that's where my roots in the hobby are. I freely admit - other than a Mint or Proof set now n then - I haven't bought a US coin in some time - prices are just too dang outrageous. So for now - my main interest is centered on world coinage - particularly the gold. As you know - I'm nuts about ducats cloud9.gif

But when - prices for the US coinage that interests me comes back to reality - I'll be right in there working on them again. But my interest in world coinage will not diminish - not a chance.

I guess I'm doomed to forever be one of those collectors with a panoramic area of interest juggle.gif

I've been selling off my US coins to support my thaler buying so I can keep up the pace for a few more months at least!

I've actually considered that too. Maybe not my commems, but I am going to sell off most of my other coins. Nothing special, a few toners, early proofs, errors/varieties, etc. Stuff I've liked over the years.

The thrill of owning a lot of it is gone after a while. No need to own it if all I do is keep it in the safe or the bank and rarely ever get to look at it. Might as well snipe a nice thaler out of JamminJ's sights. thumbsup2.gif

I'm not selliing off my entire US collection, just the stuff whihc doesn't bring me joy of ownership. Why not free up some cash for somthing that really jazzes me?

Most of the stuff I plan on selling falls into the following catgories:

1. Common stuff I bought while making the transition back to collecting. Nothing really wrong with it but it has served it's purpose of reintroducing me to a great hobby at minimal financial risk. American Silver Eagles fall intothis catagory.

2. Pretty good stuff in which I thought I was interested but later decided I wasn't. Things like circulated key/semi key Lincolns or some common MS65 Washingtons. Not bad, but not for me.

3. Junk I never should have bought but (in some cases) didn't know any better. For instance: 34 different slicked Barber quarters, cleaned Morgans or junk silver.

The best coins from my US collection are staying staying among them my '79-CC Mrogan, 1833 and 34 quarters and the Saint. Things that I'm on the fence with, like silver proof sets from 99-03, will stay for now as there's no need for hasty choices. Seems like a good idea to me to weed out the underperformers from a collection every once in a while.

-JamminJ

Might as well snipe a nice thaler out of JamminJ's sights. thumbsup2.gif

mad.gifboo.gifsumo.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

-JamminJ

confused-smiley-013.gif

Works for me devil.gif

You two go after the thalers and leave my gold alone angel.gif

Works for me devil.gif

You two go after the thalers and leave my gold alone angel.gif

Tough crowd, tough crowd. hi.gif

-JamminJ