• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much of your collecting is broad vs. narrow?

16 posts in this topic

My collecting habits started out broad (US type) and then got narrow (trade dollars -> 1875-S and 1875-CC type I/II -> 1875-CC type I/II die varieties) and then got broad again (George V silver types).

I think I find broad collecting (insert pun here) to be the most interesting. While there can be the thrill of discovering a new variety in narrow collecting, viewing a collection of many different types gives me more gratification. Moreover, I have found areas of overlap that connect my broad-scope coin collections together. For example, my Mexican type set includes a pillar dollar that could also go into an American colonial type set or a trade coin type set. Another example is the Japanese 2 shu kin for my pre-Meiji type set that has a connection with my interest in the San Francisco Mint (the Meiji government sent thousands of these and similar gold coins to San Francisco for refining in 1870 or so). I could also include an early seated quarter or half dollar in my Canadian pre-Confederation/ early Confederation type set as US coins circulated widely in Canada until the early 1870s.

Do you go through changes in your collecting habits regularly? If not, have you stayed fairly narrow or fairly broad?

Being new to the coin hobby, I am discovering that I don't want to focus on just one set. I do treasure Morgan dollars however, I have recently discovered Cameo Franklins. Today, I was thinging of purchasing some older ultra cameo Washington quarters. I am also taking a liking to the older Lincoln cameo's. hm It's starting to sound like I really like cameo coins. :cloud9:

Well I have been stuck in Roosevelt proofs lately and don't really go off track unless it is

already a set that I am working on. Right now I am only working on 5 sets and don't see

myself starting any other sets till I finish some of my sets.

I'm definitely in the "broadly collecting" category, since my coins are all over the place - literally and figuratively. I like early copper, early silver, early gold, and moderns. Probably the only series that I avoid are the various seated denominations - and even then, I can't resist a nice "no stars" coin, and I don't care for Trade dollars, either (too similar to seated designs).

As usual, there are advantages and disadvantages. I seldom complete a series, unless it's something easy, like Jefferson nickels. But on the other hand, since I need so many coins, I will always find something to purchase at any given coin show!

extremely broad yet at times highly focused

with the focus being extremely historical, pre 1915 with extraordinary surface quality for the grade be it ag-3 and/or superb gem and GREAT eye appeal

Narrow, focusing on St. Gaudens, Morgans and Walkers. Although I have been recently collecting type set coins. Looking for good buys in this environment.

But give me a good buy and I will snap it up--any coin if I can acquire it below market value.

I firmly believe that properly graded coins will appreciate in value in spite of the current economic conditions. You just have to buy at the right price.

$ilverHawk

I'm a hopeless generalist. (shrug) I try to get to know something about every series I make a purchase in and most of my collecting is driven by a combination of aesthetic appeal and historical interest. Marrying the two of those can be quite costly, so I often suffer the compromise. I've mostly gotten to know nickel coinage from 1883-2003, American coppers 1793-1857, and a bit about transitional coinage from 1836-1840. I also have a love for world coinage but get lost in it easily. Still, I remain a jack of all trades and a master of none.

Hoot

Working on Great Britain Type, I don't know how much more broad you can get than that! Right Shiro? Me also, master of none. Know a little about not much! I manage to lose money on everything but gold!

I have collected broadly enough to make some people, who don’t know me, think that I am just a light weight scatter brain. The trouble is I’m interested in just about anything that has to do with history and economics, and specializing in just one era would get boring for me pretty fast.

I have collected specialty stuff, like half cents die variety, and I still have a powerful interest in my half dime collection by Red Book variety. But I’m a type collector more than anything else, and I really like variety.