• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anyone get their 2010 silver proof sets?

11 posts in this topic

I got mine today, and they seemed fine, though I did not check the reeding. The only one that struck me as odd was the Arkansas quarter, which doesn't look right as a proof since the wall is textured, kinda makes most of the surface look like half mirror and half frost.

Mine arrived today and of the three sets, at least half have this "groove" in the reeding:

001W.jpg

002W.jpg

Needless to say, I'm not really pleased.

...why not? they look 'groovy' hm

Mine arrived today and of the three sets, at least half have this "groove" in the reeding:

001W.jpg

002W.jpg

Needless to say, I'm not really pleased.

...why not? they look 'groovy' hm

Well...................for starters, technically it's Post Mint Damage from the (WAG) packaging process. And given today's "pronged" inserts, will be as obvious as a thumbprint.

...i was just funning with you, lee, on the groovy thing. it is ridiculous to be getting

these products that are evidently NOT inspected for flaws! but we're not

supposed to complain without being labeled whiners! i say it's time to take a little

pride in the job of minting a quality product or DON'T EVEN THINK OF PRICE

HIKES EVERY TIME WE TURN AROUND!! (shrug)

Well horse on me! After posting this ATS and on the CONECA forums,

I decided to look closer with the microscope. I don't know why I didn't do that in the first place. Maybe taking the coins out of their holders had something to do with it?

At any rate, the groove, upon 30x examination, is not machined as I originally expected but does indeed look like the remnants of a groove in the original planchet. I added arrows to indicate the high point on the reed.

001A-1.jpg

003.jpg

In the recesses of the groove, it looks like deformed metal instead of a squared/machined notch.

According to Tom DeLorey, these planchets are procurred from the Perth Mint and the upsetting process at that mint causes a groove to be imbedded in the edge of the planchet which may or may not get struck out of the coin.

According to Tom DeLorey, these planchets are procurred from the Perth Mint and the upsetting process at that mint causes a groove to be imbedded in the edge of the planchet which may or may not get struck out of the coin.

The U.S. Mint has been sending gold and silver to the Perth Mint to refine the metals and make planchets for quite some time. Although this was known, it was first mentioned in front of a congressional sub-committee in August.

The U.S. Mint recently started working with the Sunshine Mint in Idaho to make silver planchets. Currently, the Sunshine Mint is making the 5 ounce rounds that will be used for the National Parks Quarter program. During the sub-committee meeting, U.S. Mint Director Ed Moy said that they would be working with the Sunshine Mint to increase production and look to certify other manufacturers of precious metal planchets.

I wonder how much money would be saved if the Mint tried to find domestic producers sooner?

Scott