• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1978 National Medal

12 posts in this topic

I've had this for quite a long time, and I'd like some information about it.

According to the booklet that came in its presentation case, it was authorized by Congress and produced by the Mint on behalf of the US Capitol Historical Society. It is supposed to be the first of a 13-year series of national medals commemorating important documents, historic events and personalities which enabled us to become the United States of America.

The medal is a proof struck in silver and is 38mm in diameter. The obverse portrays George Washington at Valley Forge standing outside with his right hand resting on his sword. In the upper field surrounding him are the 13 stars representing the original states. The reverse depicts the York Court House which served as the nation's "first Capitol building" and is where the Constitution was drafted. Unlike today, the medal was not placed in a protective disc by the Mint, and it has tarnish and haze on it.

I've tried searching the internet for more information, including the US Capitol Historical Society website, and the only thing I could find is an identical 3" medal struck in bronze. Does anyone know if this planned series of national medals was ever completed?

By the way, one of the "hits" that I got was one of the 3" bronze medals listed on eBay with the bid starting at $49.99. I sent the seller a polite question asking him if he knew that the US Capitol Historical has the very same medal for sale at $24.99.

Thanks!

Chris

103031.jpg.949f7329f115670b8119800b542f9ec1.jpg

103032.jpg.5aead4b97927d373615c1c918c74e6fd.jpg

It sounds like you already know quite a lot about this medal. Nice looking medal. Any edge inscriptions concerning serial number, weight and fineness of silver?

It sounds like you already know quite a lot about this medal. Nice looking medal. Any edge inscriptions concerning serial number, weight and fineness of silver?

It's a plain edge with no markings.

I'd really like to know if other national medals were produced in the ensuing years. I'd also like to read the legislation that authorized the production.

Chris

That's pretty neat Chris. What,12 to go?

Sort of reminiscent of my search for the elusive 1981 ANA Convention set, don'tcha think? Oh, no! Not that again! But, it would be neat to be able to put this set together if they did actually complete the series.

Chris

Great post Chris, and I see how little info is available regarding this issue. Good luck and most certainly keep us posted as to its origin and outcome of your research.

Thank you(and happy birthday also)

Jim

Great post Chris, and I see how little info is available regarding this issue. Good luck and most certainly keep us posted as to its origin and outcome of your research.

Thank you(and happy birthday also)

Jim

So far, I've drawn nothing but blanks. I've sent an e-mail to the USCHS in the hope that they will be able to provide more information. I'll keep you posted.

Chris

Jim,

I just received a response from Don Kennon at the USCHS. According to him, 1978 was the only year that a national medal was produced by the US Mint. For the years 1979-1991, the USCHS contracted with a private mint to produce them. The attached list gives the title of each medal in the year that it was produced. I've sent another inquiry to Mr Kennon to try to learn which mint produced the medals and if photos are available of each medal.

Chris

http://www.uschs.org/Content/83.htm

Sounds like I was probably right (posted in another forum) and the medals with the greatly diverging styles shown on their website are probably examples of some of the others.

Sounds like I was probably right (posted in another forum) and the medals with the greatly diverging styles shown on their website are probably examples of some of the others.

It looks that way, and from what I've seen of the other medals for sale at the USCHS Gift Shop, I think I'll probably pass on the entire collection. All of the others are shown in bronze, and I was hoping to get them in silver.

Chris

Thanks for the followup, Chris. Maybe you will have the only silver issue and the only one by our mint. Great value perhaps. Best of luck.

Jim

Well, the next item on the agenda will be to send it in for conservation before having it graded. I have a few others that need to go to NCS anyway.

Chris