• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trade dollar-guess that grade

11 posts in this topic

I like that Jim. Very nice. From the pics it looks about 64 to me. I notice a couple little nics behind liberty so I'm not sure anything else is not noticable. Nice coin!!!

It's really impossilbe to tell with being able to see the luster. It appears that some areas of this coin, especially the bottom half of the reverse are on the dull side, so I would guess MS-61 also.

First off, let me say that I like the appearance of this coin. Looks like it may have been dipped & re-toned at some point, but I don't believe that would be a problem with the TPG's. If some luster remains, I see it as a MS61 (maybe a 62) . Other wise probably AU58

Here's the coin with the grade revealed. I've never seen a coin graded with just one side of it noted as cleaned....I'm guessing it was dipped and the residue wasn't removed???

I bought this to crack and put in a type set book, so I'm thinking I should dip it and rinse properly so it stabilizes -- does this seem like a logical and correct action?

103033.jpg.2061d8c3fd70fa6cbe493975f3bab318.jpg

I bought this to crack and put in a type set book, so I'm thinking I should dip it and rinse properly so it stabilizes -- does this seem like a logical and correct action?

Nope. Without fail, when NGC spells out a one-sided "cleaned" disclaimer, it's from an abrasive cleaning, and a dip will make it worse.

I've seen one-side cleanings a number of times.

I don't think the coin looks bad at all. If you're going to just crack it out & keep it in a Dansco, I personally wouldn't mess with it . Post some photos of the obverse once you receive it. Teletrade's photos aren't usually that great.

Me too! After I remove from its entombment, I think I will put it in acetone to neutralize any "bad stuff" that may be on it, and for the heck of it see what PCGS thinks of it.

I think it looks pretty darn good too!