• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A couple of ANA pickups..... added a few more.

40 posts in this topic

I had a good time in Boston but didn't find many coins. The final count was 7 with 2 coins pending. Here are two of my favorites :) Many thanks to Todd (blu62vette) for working my coin images in at the show (thumbs u If you haven't tried his show service you really should check him out.

54.jpg

Judd54........ Man I really love the small eagle design!

1803-eagle.jpg

Early gold is just plain cool. I don't even mind the adjustment marks when the coin has this much original "skin"

Nice coins Boiler

You know, I don't really mind adjustment marks They are all part of the history to the coin . You could just imagine some person bent over a small table with a file in one hand taking off just a couple of swipes so that It meets the weight .

Thats just cool

Martin

Oh, Boiler, some more crappy old coins... When are you gonna' show us some nice new coins, like maybe a State quarter? :baiting:

Sa-Weeeet, looking coins! :applause: They are both Beautiful! I particularly like the Eagle.

Wow, some tremendous coins!

I personally like adjustment marks. I've never understood the prevailing aversion to a visual artifact that was absolutely integral to the manufacture of early coins. It's almost like hating fins on 1950s automobiles :) !

Boiler, every time you post, you put up some incredible coins and never cease to impress. Funny thing is, you probably pass up thousands of what we would call cool coins and pick up these, and yet I'm very impressed by your taste in wonderful coins. Congrats and thanks so much for taking time out to share with us.

More coins I will never, ever, ever own.

:)

Haha... there are probably only two or three guys on this board that can afford to play THAT game!! :)

That gold eagle is just nuts! As for buying seven coins, well, that might be a year's worth of success for me.

From what I have seen of Boilers collection 7 coins would equate to the price of my house plus the Red Car in the Garage !! :/

James- I don't mind adjustment marks as long as they are not located on the prime focal points of the coin but I can't really say I like them. :) This particular coin wasn't a problem because the marks were located on the B side and limited to the lower periphery.

Old Pueblo- Boiler78 = Purdue class of 78 .... damn I can't believe I'm that old!!

RockMyAmadeus- Never say never! With the exception of a few billionaires that entered the market in the last decade, most of us (myself included) started collecting with blue Whitman folders and VG Lincoln cents.

Boiler, I hope you won't hold it against me that I got my masters from a different Indiana school somewhere south of West Lafayette... :whistle:

I have three children. One just got his IE degree from Purdue, another is a senior there, and lastly a HS senior who is likely to go there. Now I know why I don't have any money for coins! Boiler UP!

Boilermaker.jpg

I always look forward to opening a Boiler thread. once again this one did not disappoint. Goodness gracious. What coolness................stunners. Major congrat's. MJ :applause:

James- I don't mind adjustment marks as long as they are not located on the prime focal points of the coin but I can't really say I like them. :) This particular coin wasn't a problem because the marks were located on the B side and limited to the lower periphery.

Old Pueblo- Boiler78 = Purdue class of 78 .... damn I can't believe I'm that old!!

RockMyAmadeus- Never say never! With the exception of a few billionaires that entered the market in the last decade, most of us (myself included) started collecting with blue Whitman folders and VG Lincoln cents.

VG Lincolns.... :cloud9:

Here are a few more ANA additions.

127a.jpg

Too bad they didn't adopt this design..... They could be used for washers in a pinch :D Not a very exciting design but it is the only J127a graded by either service.

240.jpg

This is a very "common" pattern and one of my least favorite designs. In fact this is the only "French Head" pattern I have ever owned. I actually bought the coin for its color..... This is a perfect example of what IMO mid 19th century proof copper should look like. Unfortunately the images don't capture the full proof mirrors in the fields but they are there. :)

202.jpg

This J202 is an upgrade for my 12 piece transitional set and again it is another coin that is nearly impossible to capture in an image. The coin has amazing color and full proof mirrored fields. The field lines in the obverse image are die polish lines that are typical for this issue.