• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New purchase Flowing Hair Dollar. Guess the grade

17 posts in this topic

Hello all. First off, I am extremely happy to have been able to pick up this coin. It has been on my wish list for quite some time & it certainly feels good to finally acquire one. But until I hit the lottery or a long lost uncle leaves me a huge inheritance, a nice circulated example like this will have to suffice for now.

So, anybody care to guess the grade on this 1795 Flowing Hair dollar ? Also did I mention that I was extremely happy :grin::banana:

1795flowinghair.jpg

Don, that's a wonderful coin, and would love to be able to call that a part of my collection!! Well done and regardless of the grade, it's a very nice original piece.

Don, that's a wonderful coin, and would love to be able to call that a part of my collection!! Well done and regardless of the grade, it's a very nice original piece.

agreed!!!!!!

I would like to thank everyone for their input so far , but I'd like a few more guesses so I'm going to wait until Wednesday morning before I reveal the grade. In the original photo that I posted, I used 2 halogen lights, which may have been too powerful. The coin has a much thicker skin on it (more of a bronze or copper-like hue) I just quickly took 2 more photos with some OTT lights to show the coin's darker tone.

flowhairslabobvrev-1.jpg

The way these are being graded today, I would say a Fine 12. Interesting to see what the grade on that Old Fattie says... :popcorn:

Well , here is the grade on my Flowing Hair dollar. Thank you all for your guesses,opinions and kind words. I'm extremely pleased with this coin. I especially love the color, the overall eye appeal and the fact that it hasn't been dipped out or messed with in any way.

When compared to other Flowing Hair dollars in F15 that I've seen on Heritage's archives, I think this one matches up pretty well.

flowhairslabobvrev.jpg

I kept quite because I knew the grade of this coin . Compare this one to the F 15 grades in the Heritage database and you will see most are similar. I am good with the grade of F 15 , to me it is splitting hairs to say F 12 – F15 . What I like most about this coin is the color , this is a great looking coin .

My guess was low, though in my heart, I was really thinking F-12. However, I would not argue at all with an F-15 grade, especially if the coin got a deserved bump for being so danged original.

AWESOME, and worth every bit of F-15!

My sentiments exactly James. Once again , thanks to all that gave their opinions and guesses. Thanks Mark for your advice & thank you Sam , Jason , Michael & everyone else for your kind words.

Regards,

Don