• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Secure storage of collectibles...

19 posts in this topic

Hello, and please forgive me if this question doesn't belong here, but I thought I would take a risk and ask anyway. I collect NGC (and PCGS) coins, CGC graded comic books, and PMG graded notes.

The question I have seems to concern long term storage. I live in Pennsylvania and was wondering if anyone knew of any storage facility that specializes in storing antiques and collectibles? A climate controlled storage facility is usually not your best bet (I have learned) for storing these kinds of items; therefore are there any specialized companies that deal with long term storage of collectibles with individualized service (meaning you store the items yourself)? If I am not asking a 'clear enough' question; I totally understand, as most people tell me to either use a fire proof safe or a climate controlled self storage facility (however most of these facilities are cheaply built and used to store household items, not collectibles).

Is there a market for this kind of business?

Any thoughts, or am I just 'crazy?'

I thank you for your thoughts, suggestions, and help!

For coin,s currency, and comic books I would store them in a Bank safety deposit box or a nice home safe. I would also use reusable silica gel canisters to keep out any moisture. You can buy these at most coin supply stores.

You might also want to insure your coins with a company such as Hugh Wood.

Edited by 123cents

I would suggest you store your coins in a safe deposit box within a bank and then insure them via the ANA (Hugh Wood, Inc) or through another reputable insurer. I keep my slabbed coins in individual Intercept Shield boxes and then ten of these boxes go into a larger Intercept Shield holder. The larger holder box then goes inside of a Ziploc freezer bag and I have never had an issue with any changing in appearance for my collection.

I would suggest you store your coins in a safe deposit box within a bank and then insure them via the ANA (Hugh Wood, Inc) or through another reputable insurer. I keep my slabbed coins in individual Intercept Shield boxes and then ten of these boxes go into a larger Intercept Shield holder. The larger holder box then goes inside of a Ziploc freezer bag and I have never had an issue with any changing in appearance for my collection.

totally agree as when i saw this thread i was going to say the same thing

and for climate control

you create a micro-climate like tomb did in his safe deposit box

many older banks on the east coast in states like penn. have older banks that are still operating but under new updated management that took over older banking concerns the last 20+ years and some of these older buildings with bank vaults have their sdb boxes mostly empty and this creats a good opportunity for the collector to open up a savings or checking account there and get a free small box but upgrade at a really reasonable cost to a much much larger box at quite a value price so if you have more itmes than coin slabs that are larger to store it makes a good storage facility

and with good sdb insurance it creates something that is a great value and one of the most secure, safe places to store collectibles

Thank you so much! I guess there is no need for a storage facility that caters to antiques and collectibles?

I can't find one (aside from one that caters to high end art) in my area. Therefore, I assume using the methods above may be the best way to go.

Thank you!

PS If anyone has any other suggestions, feel free to list them!

Thank you so much! I guess there is no need for a storage facility that caters to antiques and collectibles?

I can't find one (aside from one that caters to high end art) in my area. Therefore, I assume using the9999999 methods99999999 above may be the best way to go.

Thank you!

PS If anyone has any other suggestions, feel free to list them!

yes the 0000000methods000000 that tomb and i suggested are in my opinion the best way to go with also being the most economicall and convenient and also most private and also in my opinion the most secure because of the privacy issue as the less people that know your business the better off you are!!

On 8/2/2010 at 5:30 PM, mintcollector said:

Hello, and please forgive me if this question doesn't belong here, but I thought I would take a risk and ask anyway. I collect NGC (and PCGS) coins, CGC graded comic books, and PMG graded notes.

Storage companies near me company G&J Moving. The question I have seems to concern long term storage. I live in Pennsylvania and was wondering if anyone knew of any storage facility that specializes in storing antiques and collectibles? A climate controlled storage facility is usually not your best bet (I have learned) for storing these kinds of items; therefore are there any specialized companies that deal with long term storage of collectibles with individualized service (meaning you store the items yourself)? If I am not asking a 'clear enough' question; I totally understand, as most people tell me to either use a fire proof safe or a climate controlled self storage facility (however most of these facilities are cheaply built and used to store household items, not collectibles).

Is there a market for this kind of business?

Any thoughts, or am I just 'crazy?'

I thank you for your thoughts, suggestions, and help!

how did you solve the problem?

On 12/30/2019 at 8:34 AM, numisport said:

I don't think zip-loc storage bags should be anywhere near coins if they can't keep foods fresh ¬¬

do zip-loc bags contain PVC?  That would be my personal concern as my coins are in NGC/PCGS holder then in small zip-loc bags.  I then have those in the 20 slab NGC/PCGS coin holders.  

47 minutes ago, MAULEMALL said:

Or  you can buy an old bank .. Tons are going under all over the country..

https://www.fdic.gov/resources/resolutions/bank-failures/failed-bank-list/banklist.html

Yes I am serious .. 

Actually, very few going under....nothing compared to The Depression (8,000 in 2 years).....S&L Crisis (1,000 went under over a decade) or 2008-09 Financial Crisis (~450 from 2008-11).  (thumbsu

13 minutes ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Actually, very few going under....nothing compared to The Depression (8,000 in 2 years).....S&L Crisis (1,000 went under over a decade) or 2008-09 Financial Crisis (~450 from 2008-11).  (thumbsu

I just posted a list with 563 since 2k except the fannymae forced fraud.. No real crisis  and until 7 months ago , Biggest economy, biggest growth, Smallest unemployment ever..  you talking bought what exactly?

We're talking buildings not corps.. There are 2 closed banks for sale within 10 miles of me

Edited to add. 

Edited by MAULEMALL

2 hours ago, MAULEMALL said:

I just posted a list with 563 since 2k except the fannymae forced fraud.. No real crisis  and until 7 months ago , Biggest economy, biggest growth, Smallest unemployment ever..  you talking bought what exactly? We're talking buildings not corps.. There are 2 closed banks for sale within 10 miles of me Edited to add. 

563 since 2000 seems about right.  But that's very few if you ex-out the 2008-09 crisis.

Consolidation will help banks navigate Covid-19 losses and ZIRP.

On 11/2/2020 at 2:25 PM, JBock said:

do zip-loc bags contain PVC?  That would be my personal concern as my coins are in NGC/PCGS holder then in small zip-loc bags.  I then have those in the 20 slab NGC/PCGS coin holders.  

Food storage bags do not contain PVC but are PE family which is polyethylene. To me ony hard plastics should be used but I recommend only tested and approved materials used for long term storage.

16 minutes ago, numisport said:

Food storage bags do not contain PVC but are PE family which is polyethylene. To me ony hard plastics should be used but I recommend only tested and approved materials used for long term storage.

Ok, I am assuming that by your wording that PE is also bad or at least less desirable. I will look in to either testing to some degree or swapping to something else.  I have been looking at the intercept SL10 boxes. 

Thanks for the response

On 8/2/2010 at 1:19 PM, TomB said:

This is exactly what the Punkaccountant does too minus the Ziploc bags.