• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1780 Germany (Frankfurt) 1K in MS65

13 posts in this topic

I got this coin off a local bid board. Seller called it XF and priced it at $20 (XF catalog is $50). He was dull, lifeless black when I purchased him. A little TLC and here he is.

1780germany1k.jpg

Just got him back from NGC today in a nice shiny MS65 slab. cloud9.gif

I think that blue is a reflection of the slab core. The coin is basically brilliant with some steel color in the protected areas.

The leaves on the reverse look like that have dark tone on them, but that is just the photo. In person they are brilliant. I think that because the high points on the leaves aren't fully struck and there isn't the same looking luster there, the photo makes that area look darker and possibly worn. Not so in person. smile.gif

Glad to see you're enjoying the coin I let you have! 893whatthe.gif

Seriously, Iook forward to seeing it in person in its new and improved state. Among German states Frankfurt raanks near the top in terms of attractive coinage, IMO.

-JamminJ

Does TLC= Coin doctoring? 893whatthe.gif

Not at all. TLC means lovingly removing 200 years of black junk on the surfaces. It was a coin that would have been bagged if submitted like it was. The surfaces were covered in death.

I have to snap a nice photo that really shows off this coin.