• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pet peeve-describe your coin!!please?

8 posts in this topic

Oh boy.It's late and I'm cranky.thing is,I get this way because of certain things sellers do or don't do when making an auction ad.

If you use a scanner to sell a rainbow or wild color coin,don't.Use a good camera instead If you only have a scanner available use the description box to describe the colors and the way they appear on the coin. I've come across this problem so many times it's driving me nuts. We all know that scanners sacrifice color for detail,don't we? I'm sure there's a percentage of sellers who are doing it purposely to dump ugly coins,but if your coin is so dang colorful,show it!! I'm not buying until I see good photo or read a good description.

Here's one link,not as bad as some,but I don't see the colors.I see dark tone.Vent over for now.I'm working on my next installment.Stay tuned.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SPECTACULAR-RAINBOW-TONED-MORGAN-1898-O-/290458172487?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item43a0a7fc47

At least he started his price at a reasonable level, my pet peave is all the sellers who start the bidding higher than the value of the coin. Just do a search of completed items and sort from highest price to lowest....can't imagine how much money people spend to list coins that will never sell for their starting prices.

At least he started his price at a reasonable level, my pet peave is all the sellers who start the bidding higher than the value of the coin. Just do a search of completed items and sort from highest price to lowest....can't imagine how much money people spend to list coins that will never sell for their starting prices.

Yeah,that's a good one.I have a half dozen or more that really get my goat,but here's a couple minor annoyances.First is the no nothing(or maybe not) who prices a VF 20 97-O Morgan dollar at $10,000. Or how about the Start price and the BIN are the same number. sometimes you want to reach through the computer, grab them by the collar and shake them. Then you say,okay,it'll pass.

Even with a good camera it is sometimes difficult to photograph a toned coin properly, unless you take 100+ photos.

Would like to add another pet peeve I just came accross.

I hate that people post dozens of copies/reproduction coins in the same categories for the real coins. There is a category called Reproductions.

Sellers claiming they know nothing about a "California Gold Fractional" that their Great Uncle picked up at a San Fransisco yard sale during the Great Depression. If you do a bit of research, you'll find out that they are nothing but micron thickness gold plated tokens manufactured for the tourist trade in the 60's & 70's....that's 1960, not 1860.

Note: If you see the "bear" beware.

Sellers claiming they know nothing about a "California Gold Fractional" that their Great Uncle picked up at a San Fransisco yard sale during the Great Depression. If you do a bit of research, you'll find out that they are nothing but micron thickness gold plated tokens manufactured for the tourist trade in the 60's & 70's....that's 1960, not 1860.

Note: If you see the "bear" beware.

A whole nother can of worms.wouldn't touch one without a slab.Or they are too dang small.I was watching some of these on Coin V.... or some such tonight and while I appreciate the history I wouldn't bet on making anything on them ever.