• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice about selling a bunch of silver quarters

9 posts in this topic

Hey there-

I usually hang out on the comics side of things, but I have about 1900 silver quarters from 1934-1964. I looked for all the super rare ones and didn't find any. For the most part, the condition isn't great either. What is my best bet for getting the most out of these?

Should I hang onto them till my kids are ready for college? Should I take them to a silver buyer? Should I buy a LOT of cans of coke?

All ideas welcome. I'm short on money right now, but if it doesn't make sense to move them, so be it.

Thanks for your help.

I believe each quarter has .1809 ounce which at about $18/oz would make the melt value of your coins approximately $6200. And since some of them date back to 1934, they should be worth somewhat more than melt unless the condition is really low (like maybe AG or G).

I have never tried to sell large numbers of coins of that type and would have to investigae how best to do it if I did. At this time, I would consider eBay and I understand that there are dealers who speciliaze in this area, but I do not know who they are. Maybe someone else here does.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4095062#Post4095062

Here is a recent thread from another comic book forum member wanting to sell some gold coins. SilverTown was recommended and he said he used them and was happy with the transaction. You might check them out and see if they will buy your quarters. Good luck.

You could also try the BST here or the PM forum on PCGS. If they are priced right, they will sell, and you will get more than if you sold to Silvertowne.

if you dont really need to sell and can keep these silver quarters i would

as i think silver will be $25+ an ounce

within 18 months or less

within 18 months or less

I would have to agree but see it as "less". I would certainly look into the earlier dates before I agreed to any sale. A cheap and worthwhile investment would be a "red book" which gives descriptions on the various grades and then the retail cost for the coin in that particular grade.I dont collect quarters so am not sure of te different grades and values.

within 18 months or less

I would have to agree but see it as "less". I would certainly look into the earlier dates before I agreed to any sale. A cheap and worthwhile investment would be a "red book" which gives descriptions on the various grades and then the retail cost for the coin in that particular grade.I dont collect quarters so am not sure of te different grades and values.

That would be "less" months and not less value.