• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

As a Whole what was your biggest score off of a misgrade by a TPG..

16 posts in this topic

I own a few very high dollar coins that are not for sale, many people I deal with want them and are willing to pay way over moon value..

Earlier in my coin collecting life I scored on a few coins that had the wrong grade.. Doing ones homework does pay off..

I know all TPG's make mistakes and I have always believed since they had a guarantee the TPG's were always grading certain coins on the lower side when in doubt and maybe that job pressure was the cause at the customers expense...

I see more and more and more coins getting upgrades at the customers expense, I mean in many ways, first the original submission, then another submission without a change..

Later on, the coin is sold because of a huge changing amount with just one point higher and a person accepts the value of it in the slab before the sale as it is and loses huge $$$..

The original owner after the sale of such coin, down the line sees it at a higher grade and selling for moon money..

Yea, I play this game, this is the reason I don't have any luck with most players who always are critizing me on my opinions and or theories..

So, if you could share some coins you did LOSE on or HIT MOON money please respond.

Maybe your coins will help others recheck their valued coin that might get that bump and since it seems with the plus thingy and extra point bumps going on at the TPG's it can only help.. Thanks.

One coin I will share with the coin hobbists was a Morgan dollar that was a grade of 66.. Well, I thought is had a shot at 67 and one side was a easy PL, but I cracked it and soaked it and resubmitted it and it became a 67..

I didn't get a BMW for the bump, but made a nice $2k profit by removing years of enviromental smut. The other coins I mention at the top I could buy a nice BMW with the grade change, but I for one don't like cars like that.. I am just a regular kind of old guy that understands life and believes family and peace in ones life is the key..

I have a very nice 1875 20C piece that I purchased MS63 from a well-known and respected dealer on these boards. I originally cracked it for an album. When I resubmitted it to PCGS, it came back as a 62. Resubmitted it. 62 again. And, most recently after submission, it came back as an AU55. :screwy:

I have a very nice 1875 20C piece that I purchased MS63 from a well-known and respected dealer on these boards. I originally cracked it for an album. When I resubmitted it to PCGS, it came back as a 62. Resubmitted it. 62 again. And, most recently after submission, it came back as an AU55. :screwy:

I know this coin! Don't forget we were shooting for MS64 when it happened!

I have made some nice scores from Anacs photo certificates. These were graded, but not slabbed like one would think of a slab today. They are essentially raw.

I have turned a couple of $50 to $100 dollar coins into $1000 dollar coins by submitting them. That is if I ever sell them.

JJ

Well, I've only ever submitted one coin, so I'd call that my biggest score.

It was a bust half dime that I bought raw off of ebay for something like $200. It was white, and looked freshly dipped. It was clean with no marks, but the luster held it back a little. It sat for a couple years in my 7070 and picked up a nice orange periphery toning to it, at which point I decided that it didn't fit my set and I wanted to sell it.

A coin like that would never sell for MS money without being certified. I sent it to NGC and it came back MS61. I sold it for close to $500. :)

I sold a top-pop proof seated 1/2 dime in a PCGS 66dcam holder. It is now in an NGC 68* holder and sold for more than 4x what I sold it for. Funny thing is the coin has a old, small staple scratch on Liberty's arm. lol

Once bought a proof 1863 3cs from an old collection. I sent it to PCGS who graded it 66cam. When I got it back it looked more closely at the date and realized it was an 1863/2. Sent back to PCGS to be attributed correctly. That increased the value by about 3x.

I sold a top-pop proof seated 1/2 dime in a PCGS 66dcam holder. It is now in an NGC 68* holder and sold for more than 4x what I sold it for. Funny thing is the coin has a old, small staple scratch on Liberty's arm. lol

Once bought a proof 1863 3cs from an old collection. I sent it to PCGS who graded it 66cam. When I got it back it looked more closely at the date and realized it was an 1863/2. Sent back to PCGS to be attributed correctly. That increased the value by about 3x.

While I never owned it, that 1863/2 sounds familiar ;) I think I remember it as a real beauty.

I have only done a few cross overs but no resubmisssions. The only one of any note was a 1756 Peru 1/2 Real was in an old ANACS AU-58 holder and is now NGC MS-62. Its probably worth about $400 versus the $123 I paid for it.

All of the coins I have ever "scored" have been raw coins bought cheap and had graded. There have been a lot of them. Few were worth any money but proportionately I did well on them.

I cracked open a PCGS OGH Indian Head Proof graded PF64RB. Thought it had a shot at either 65 or 66. Sent it into NGC and it came PF63BN. Cracked it out again and had a friend send it back into PCGS and it graded PF65RB. The TPG's fees cost was slightly less than the value of a grade bump. Don't play the crackout game anymore. It is a shoot.

Oddly enough, I have occasionally made decent money cracking coins out and selling them uncertified. For example, many collectors who assemble album collections immediately shy away from certified coins, not realizing they can crack such pieces out very simply themselves. But, they will sometimes actually pay very good money for one already cracked out!

Also, I've several times completed an album collection with a few cracked out coins and sold the overall set at a net profit.

It probably isn't a way to get rich, but the market for non-certified coins is quite strong, in my opinion, yet ignored by many dealers who are only capable of marketing certified coins. In many ways, it's my own little niche, at least here locally.

My best just happened within the past month. I sent in six MPL's for regrade in the new Security Plus option at PCGS. I expected to get a plus on three of them, but would have been happy with two. The 1915 and 1916, both 66BN were successful. The 1915 received a "+" going from a Pop 12/2 to a 1/2. The big score came with the 1916. It gained a full point, becoming the only 67BN for the date and only the fifth 67BN in the MPL series.

My best just happened within the past month. I sent in six MPL's for regrade in the new Security Plus option at PCGS. I expected to get a plus on three of them, but would have been happy with two. The 1915 and 1916, both 66BN were successful. The 1915 received a "+" going from a Pop 12/2 to a 1/2. The big score came with the 1916. It gained a full point, becoming the only 67BN for the date and only the fifth 67BN in the MPL series.

Wow! You did great Bob. Congrats!