• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stone Mountain Memorial Half Dollar

20 posts in this topic

This is the chapter in my book about the Stone Mountain Memorial half-dollar. I'm self publishing using Lulu. I still have a ways to go as I'm only up to 1925. The format will be different in the book but images and content will be very close to the same. Let me know your thoughts and comments both positive and negative. :)

STMNTOBV.jpg

1925 Mintage of 2,314,709 (4,709 for assay), 1,000,000 melted

For many years a permanent memorial to the military leaders of the Confederacy was planned. It was proposed that Stone Mountain, Georgia, comprising one of the largest known masses of workable granite, be suitably carved with portraits of these leaders in heroic size. Arrangements were finally completed and in June, 1923, the work began.

StoneMtn.jpg

In order to secure additional funds to finance this memorial, Congress authorized an issue of souvenir half-dollars, not only as a memorial to the Confederate leaders but also as a memorial to Warren G. Harding who was President of the United States when the work of carving Stone Mountain began.

LeePortrait.jpg

General Robert E. Lee in March 1864

The models for this half-dollar coinage were prepared by Gutzon Borglum, a noted American sculptor, who also held the commission for the actual carving of Stone Mountain. The dies were prepared by the Medallic Art Company of New York. Mr. Borglum and other officials’ of the Stone Mountain Confederate Monumental Association were present when the first pieces were struck at the Philadelphia Mint on January 21, 1925, the 101st birthday of General Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson. The first coin struck was subsequently mounted on a plate of Georgia gold and presented to President Coolidge. During the remainder of that month and through March, a total of 2,314,709 pieces were coined, which was less than half of the authorized issue. It was proposed by the Association to release these coins simultaneously throughout the nation on July 3, 1925, in order to avoid speculation. The first million were sold at one dollar each, with the Association reserving the right to sell the remainder at a higher price. They made their first appearance in May.

Due to the tremendous number of coins which the Association had to market, it was necessary to devise methods for sales promotion. Several large institutions, as their contribution to the Memorial, were prevailed upon to purchase the coins at the premium and then distribute them at face value, throughout the South they were distributed on a quota basis, each town subscribing for a fixed number. In each town, also, there was one special coin which was auctioned off to the highest bidder, with the proceeds, which often amounted to several hundred dollars, returnable to the Association.

LeeHdqtrs1.jpg

Gettysburg, Pa. Headquarters of Gen. Robert E. Lee on the Chambersburg Pike in July 1863

During the work of cutting the memorial, a misunderstanding between Mr. Borglum and the Association officials resulted in the resignation of Mr. Borglum, not without considerable publicity. The Association was not only short of funds at this time but also lacked a sculptor. A sculptor was secured (Augustus Lukeman) and the money was raised by marking some of the Stone Mountain coins with numbers and also with letters designating the State (e.g., Tenn = Tennessee) and these were sent to communities throughout the South, and auctioned.

Mention of the Stone Mountain half-dollar is incomplete without stating that there was considerable opposition to this issue. The issue was severely criticized, particularly by Northerners, because it was not considered fitting that the coinage of the United States be used to commemorate and perpetuate the memory of erstwhile leaders of the Southern states. Opposition gained sufficient strength at the time, as previously noted, to demand that the entire issue be suppressed. In order to modify the specific clauses in the enacting bill pertaining to the Confederate Army, the phrase making this issue a memorial to President Harding was added. When the coins were released, however, it was obvious that no reference to President Harding had been made. At one time his portrait had been considered as the main obverse device.

In addition there were protests against the design adopted, as well as general resentment regarding the nature of the Memorial itself which was being done with the funds received from the sale of the coins. Much unfavorable publicity resulted from the disagreements between Mr. Borglum and the Association, and the sale of the coins became increasingly difficult.

Stonewall_Jackson.jpg

General “Stonewall” Jackson's "Chancellorsville" Portrait, taken at a Spotsylvania County farm on April 26, 1863, seven days before his mortal wounding at the Battle of Chancellorsville.

The widest divergence of opinions was with regard to the design. Some people felt that the diework and lettering were not sufficiently clear. This was due to the fact that this coin has no level field. Instead, the entire surface is treated as if were rough-hewn stone against which stars are seen. In previous commemorative coinages, the surfaces of the coins had been comparatively smooth and they might have been struck as proofs, but with this issue there was not the possibility of a brilliant proof, thereby producing for numismatists an altogether new effect, and one which, at first, was thought not wholly pleasing. The question appears to be whether the result produced is not more proper for Medallic work.

JacksonMonument.jpg

General “Stonewall” Jackson Monument in Chancellorsville

The authorization called for 5,000,000 half-dollars, the largest issue since that of the Columbian. In fact, the authorization for this issue was over twice the aggregate authorizations for all thirteen intervening issues including all denominations. Fortunately, the Mint authorities realized the absorption point of the country for these souvenir issues and in this period between 1893 and 1924, only about two-thirds of the number of coins authorized were struck. In this same period, about one-third of the number struck were returned to the Mint and subsequently melted. The Stone Mountain Confederate Monumental Association returned 1,000,000 to the Mint, of which 500,000 were melted at once. The remaining half-million pieces also were melted.

The obverse of this coin shows General Robert E. Lee and General Thomas J. (“Stonewall”) Jackson-both on horseback. The decision to portray these two men upon a United States coin was not based solely upon their military leadership in the War between the States, but upon their importance as leaders and as Americans fighting for what they considered to be right and just.

Thanks for posting this for us, Lee.

By the way, that photo of Stonewall Jackson is the one my Mom used to paint his portrait. I've mentioned it before, but I am related to General Jackson on Mom's side of the family.

I don't know if you'd want to, but you are welcome to use the photo of Mom's portrait.

Chris

101293.jpg.8b161056e9be14a8929bcf3d78a2d26e.jpg

Lee, as usual...Well Done!

But since you asked for comments I might suggest that you add a paragraph on the counter stamps.

Thanks all for your thoughts and comments! :)

I'll see what I can find on the counter stamps.

Thanks a lot for posting this Lee, very educational and well thought out. I give it (thumbs u (thumbs u

After reading your article and seeing that amazingly toned example, makes me want one just like that! Most of the Stone Mountain comm. I have seen have been cleaned and polished to death.

Maybe a stupid question, as I don't collect commems., but which one is Stonewall Jackson? the guy wearing the hat?

Robert E Lee is wearing the hat. The one holding his hat is Stonewall Jackson.

Lee, as usual...Well Done!

But since you asked for comments I might suggest that you add a paragraph on the counter stamps.

Thanks John. Found this little bit of info on Counter Stamps:

From "The Numismatist" dtd July, 1932 -

Member C. H. Ohr of Honey Grove, TX writes that "I was local chairman selling the coins in Honey Grove, Texas, and I had one coin stamped "No. 143," the number of my district, and "Texas" also stamped. These special coins were sold to the the highest bidders and brought as much as $262 each in one town. There was only one of each particular stamp."

Just receivied some info about these Counter-Stamps today. Gonna read through it, and post a little tid-bit tomorrow. ;)

StoneMtnCert.jpg

In 1925 or 1926, with the purchase of numbered Stone Mountain half dollars, the successful bidder received not only the coin, but also an elaborately printed scroll from the Stone Mountain Confederate Monumental Association, duly signed by Hollins N. Randolph, president, and Rogers Winter, secretary.

How cool would it be to own one of these, with the coin of record. :)

stone_Mtn_counterstamp.jpg

Not my coin

Very interesting post, Lee. I look forward to your completion of your book. Do you have an idea when that might be, yet? Thank you for your time and effort. Great article which made a dull, uninteresting memorial coin now have a little more desireability.

Jim

Very interesting post, Lee. I look forward to your completion of your book. Do you have an idea when that might be, yet? Thank you for your time and effort. Great article which made a dull, uninteresting memorial coin now have a little more desireability.

Jim

Thanks Jim. :) I'm working on the book every available moment. It's a collector based book and I hope to have it completed within 6 months to a year. :wishluck: Trying to find factual information is a real chore. I'm also self-publishing, which adds in it's own can of worms. English was not my favorite subject. :tonofbricks:

So much information to process and write about for this series. :o

I'm somewhat of a perfectionist so struggling with information overload and what should be in the book. :(

Found this: :)

StnMtnContestCoverA.jpg

It may explain the GL and SL Counterstamps. Still reading through it.