• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1795 dollar

4 posts in this topic

i cant get a picture on here but the 1795 3 leaves flowing dollar was graded in an old green older vf20. were these older grades graded more harshly then now. this coin has some mint luster left. i noticed more recent pcgs grades of vf20 are more worn and darker.

Only from what I've seen here, there are alot of the OGH's that have been under-graded. So your question is a possibility. A pic would still help to be more efficient.

i cant get a picture on here but the 1795 3 leaves flowing dollar was graded in an old green older vf20. were these older grades graded more harshly then now. this coin has some mint luster left. i noticed more recent pcgs grades of vf20 are more worn and darker.

I would never assume that an older slab grade for a 1795 dollar is more "harsh" or conservative. As I mentioned in your other thread, I think the track record for TPG grading of early coins is not impressive.

From my experience the grading for early dollars was conservative among collectors and leading dealers BEFORE the advent of slabs. I purchased all but one of the early dollars that I now have in my collection raw and had them slabbed later. In every case the grade the dealer gave the coins when I bought them was lower than the slab grade. Here are some examples.

1795 Flowing Hair Dollar with adjustment marks – Dealer grade VF-25, Slab grade EF-40

1796 Draped Bust, Small Eagle dollar, Dealer grade EF-45, Slab grade AU-50

1799 Bust dollar – Dealer grade and ANACS old slab grade EF-45, New slab grade AU-55

1800 Bust dollar – Dealer, 1975 auction house and collector condition census grade EF-45, Slab grade AU-58

It’s been my experience that the slab grades for early coins can be all over the place. I’ve seen some coins that were “dead on” and a very few that might have been “conservative.” But I’ve seen some others that were wildly optimistic. Among the worst were a couple of PCGS coins. One was a 1796 half dime graded “AU-58” that had been badly polished. Another was 1796 half dollar that had had the lines in the stars on the obverse re-engraved.

An old holder is no guarantee that the coin is under graded or even “dead on.” In the case of some holders the chances of it being “dead on” or under graded is higher, but you can’t bank on it.