• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Morgan

16 posts in this topic

Bought this raw last week.I got it yesterday and took some pics today(Wed). This photo came out the best. What do you all say.Is it an NGC Star candidate?Or will the cheek BB it?It looks a heck of a lot worse in the picture. The reverse is 98% white and the reason I don't have a picture of that is my camera batteries ran down. Funny thing about photos.The sellers photo did not come out iridescent like this one. Still very nice and I'll post it later.

85IRID1.jpg

I think it's a nice looking Morgan. I like the rainbow toning but I'm not sure what warrants a star. I am concerned about the scratch on libertys cheek and what looks like two rim dings, one major. Now unless that's something in the pic and not a ding at around 6:00, then I'd say MS63. If that's a ding, then I may have to say it is big enough to BB. (shrug)

I'm going to assume the apparent dings on the edge are actually the prongs of whatever device is holding the coin in the picture.

As for the cheek mark, its 50/50 what NGC would do. I don't think it warrants a bodybag, but it does limit the grade to 62-63.

I don't believe it is star worthy - although it is very nice. I also believe it is very nicely NT, unless the doctors are getting really good.

Very nice color. IMO clearly NT. The hits in the focal areas (cheek mainly) cost a point. MS63-62. My main concern is the severity of the rim hit by the date. If the hit is as severe as it appears in the pics, a TPG may BB it.

$ilverHawk

Okay guys.Had panic attack when i read the comments about the rim dings.I guess I wasn't paying attention when I posted.I took a quick look though and physics-fan was right.They are shadows from the coin easel.They are in a funny spot because the coin was turned and I had to turn it more to make it upright.

So,then the cheek scrapes are the next thing to deal with.I usually don't like to buy Morgans below MS 64,especially with focal point issues but this one has a unique color scheme. And,you'll be thinking I juiced the photos after I post the original sellers pics tomorrow.thanks all,I'll be back

Glad to hear about the shadows. I figured you would've noticed a ding that big. I'm still looking at 63 with the scratch. I know pics seem to enlarge problems but it does look a little deep. I still like coin and the color tho'. Nice!!

I call it a 63 star and when I looked at the pics, I figured it was on some sort of stand to take pictures of. NT all the way.

Because of the severity of the gouge on her face, I'm thinking MS62, if it didn't BB. I don't think it's worthy of a star. The gouge takes away from the eye appeal.

I also think it is NT, but I don't think it would justify the cost of submission unless your primary concern would be to preserve the toning in its current state.

Chris

Bought this raw last week.I got it yesterday and took some pics today(Wed). This photo came out the best. What do you all say.Is it an NGC Star candidate?Or will the cheek BB it?It looks a heck of a lot worse in the picture. The reverse is 98% white and the reason I don't have a picture of that is my camera batteries ran down. Funny thing about photos.The sellers photo did not come out iridescent like this one. Still very nice and I'll post it later.

85IRID1.jpg

That scratch on the cheek bothere me. It seems to be prety big in the picture and almost a gouge. It could be a BB if this is the case. Definitely not a star.Possibly a 62 if not BBed

As promised,here is the Sellers picture.The reality is closer to this than my picture.I'm wondering if this was taken with an SLR camera.

85Orainbow1JPG.jpg

Well first off, if that scratch on the cheek doesn't body bag it, it might lose the star because of it. The toning is NT all the way & very eye appealing. Based solely on the crescent toning it is star worthy in my opinion. As far as it's grade, without seeing the reverse, it's a 63 at best & I'm actually leaning toward a 62.

Overall, I like it !!

I'm assuming it's a Philly Morgan right?

Well first off, if that scratch on the cheek doesn't body bag it, it might lose the star because of it. The toning is NT all the way & very eye appealing. Based solely on the crescent toning it is star worthy in my opinion. As far as it's grade, without seeing the reverse, it's a 63 at best & I'm actually leaning toward a 62.

Overall, I like it !!

I'm assuming it's a Philly Morgan right?

Right on all counts FH.Philly,MS62/63,NT and Star worthy,IMO.Nothing special or noteworty on the reverse except it won't help or hurt the grade.It's about what to expect from a 62/63 morgan(picture below).

Some other opinions here differ from mine,but that's expected since I am pretty new to all these different aspects of evaluating coins.

It's probably borderline on submitting,but it makes the 5th coin for Economy status. One other reason to submit, which was mentioned,besides betting on a star is preservation of the toning.I really like the blend of colors on this one.It cost me $47.50 so it probably won't lose if I were to sell it in the future. Some coins you just keep picking up and looking at.This is one for me.Not my best,or worst. The seller mistakenly called this an 85 O.It's an 85 P.

85Orainbow2.jpg

Nice color, but do you actualy want to pay for a MS62-63 "Star".

BTW Intercept Holders are a very good way to preserve coins.

$ilverHawk

Nice color, but do you actualy want to pay for a MS62-63 "Star".

BTW Intercept Holders are a very good way to preserve coins.

$ilverHawk

Maybe,maybe not.Usually I wouldn't bother with a 62.I'm mulling it over.