• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1907 Quarter Eagle Error - Request Guidance

4 posts in this topic

Hello To All -

Any ideas to authenticate the below error coin as this variety is not recognized by NGC?

The coin clearly has a repunched date, doubling on Liberty (specifically the letter "Y"), and some sort of raised metal within the number "9" (bottom portion).

Any assistance is appreciated.

1907.jpg

I am not an expert on lib quarter eagles, but I had a similar experience with a lib double eagle. As it turned out, my coin was a struck counterfeit, and your comment about the raised metal by the 9 rang some bells. Often raised metal like that, especially near the letters or date can indicate a struck counterfeit. Have you examined the rest of the coin closely? In particular have you looked at the denticles for similar raised metal? Looked at the reeding for irregularities? Have you checked the weight?

If all those check out, and it is an error, then I would suggest ANACS for certification, as they do quite a lot with error coins. Sorry I couldn't help more, it looks interesting!