• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1793 Chain Cent Is it worth conservation & Grading

15 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm new to the board I found this 1793 Chain Cent yesterday metal detecting and was wondering if I should send it in to NCS & NGS for conservation and grading. I want to preserve it's state but don't want conservation to remove anymore details. I'm not a expert on ths and I'm hoping some of the members here can give me some opions. I have included a link with pictures from a metal detecting forum I'm on. Thanks for any help that can be given.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,333758.0.html

I don't think there is much that NCS could do for that one. It is corroded and heavily pitted from being in the ground, and I would be reluctant do very much to it because you might strip off what little detail is left. I’d enjoy it the way it is. Perhaps you could soak it in olive oil for a while or have someone put some Blue Ribbon or CARE on it to arrest any more corrosion, but any attempt to remove the surface corrosion will only make it worse or even unrecognizable as a Chain Cent.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on a neat find. I would leave it as is, as I don't know what could be done to improve it noticeably, without making it look it look unnatural.

I would leave it alone and get it into a genuine NGC or PCGS genuine slab to authenticat it and to protect it. Removing any corrosion will remove some of the design detail which will hurt the coin.

I would leave it alone and get it into a genuine NGC or PCGS genuine slab to authenticat it and to protect it. Removing any corrosion will remove some of the design detail which will hurt the coin.

So all I have to do is just send it in to NGC for slabbing and grading? I thought I read they will not grade a coin with a elegible date. There is no date on this coin but you can see the chain and they only made it 1 year 1793. I said I'm new to this I appciate all the responses.

So all I have to do is just send it in to NGC for slabbing and grading? I thought I read they will not grade a coin with a elegible date. There is no date on this coin but you can see the chain and they only made it 1 year 1793. I said I'm new to this I appciate all the responses.

The fact that it doesn't show the date should not matter on a one year design, other than for purposes of which variety (of Chain Cent) it is.

That is a cool find. I'm sure you're psyched! To determine if it is the AMERI. S-1 variety if you can't read the details then look at the links on the reverse at 12:00. If two bisecting links are directly over the "N" in "ONE" like the example below then it is an S-1 variety and much more scarce and desirable. If the overlapping links are directly over the gap between the "N" and the "E" then is not the S-1.

1793rV3b.jpg

After straightening your coin out, it sure looks like an S-1 to me. Awesome find! I think that it should fetch $2K from the right buyer as long as you don't mess with it. The patina is what makes it nice. Get it slabbed in a genuine holder and you'll be set. What part of the country did you find it in? Can you relate the details and excitement of when and how you found it? Thanks.

100723.jpg.f6eb3c905b395cda5291877c30d6dd74.jpg

p.s. When you send it in for certification, be sure to include a summary of the diagnostics of why it is an S-1 and request that they put the variety on the label. Not only does this document the coin for accuracy's sake but it will increase the value of the coin, as well.

That is a cool find. I'm sure you're psyched! To determine if it is the AMERI. S-1 variety if you can't read the details then look at the links on the reverse at 12:00. If two bisecting links are directly over the "N" in "ONE" like the example below then it is an S-1 variety and much more scarce and desirable. If the overlapping links are directly over the gap between the "N" and the "E" then is not the S-1.

1793rV3b.jpg

After straightening your coin out, it sure looks like an S-1 to me. Awesome find! I think that it should fetch $2K from the right buyer as long as you don't mess with it. The patina is what makes it nice. Get it slabbed in a genuine holder and you'll be set. What part of the country did you find it in? Can you relate the details and excitement of when and how you found it? Thanks.

Thanks for the info after looking at my coin again the link are directhly over the N in "ONE" never caught that. So that must make mine the S-1 Variety. :cool: Okay a little background on the coin and how I found it. I rode by a school that was built in the mid 1900's last week and saw some guys replacing a section of the playground and putting up new equipment. So I decided to detect it after they were done for the evening. I found a 34 buffalo nickel made into a button a few silver quarters and wheat pennies. I went home that night and did some research on the grounds and found out that the school was built on top of the original farm dating late 1700's in this town. The farm was split up in the mid 1900's and the town bought the one section and built the school. Now my mind is racing I knew that alot of people have probaly metal detected the grounds over the years but for some reason people detecting seem to cherry pick most of the time and only dig the high conductivity signals like silver. So I decided to grab a few buddies and detect the large grassy areas on Saturday and listen for deep targets only. Well Saturday arrived and we got there not 30 minutes into the hunt I got a deep iffy signal at 10" I dug down and sitting on edge was the chain cent. I had very little knowledge on chain cents before finding this. My buddy looked at it and immediately said chain cent. My other buddy was having a hard time believing I just found it even thu he was there when I dug it. I wonder how many other detectors have passed over this and never dug it because it sounded like deep trash. It goes to show paitenance and digging the iffy signals can pay off some times and a place is never hunted out. The coin was found on the Eastern Shore of Md. Lots of history in this area. I really am thankful for the opportunity to rediscover this coin. I will sell it to someone who will appreciate it and collects large cents. I collect older silver not big into the large coppers but do appreciate the history behind this one and want it to go to someone who would appreciate this alot more then I ever could. I am going to send it to NGS for grading asking them to put the variety on it like reccomended. Not sure what to ask for it but I would be extremely happy with $1,500 on it so I can get a new detector I have been wanting. Thanks for everyone's responses.

First of all, Welcome to our friendly little neighborhood!

I believe encapsulation will do nothing more than spend a little of your money. You can sell this coin as-is really quite easily, and the coin detecting story will actually add a little value. It's an absolutely fantastic find, and you are to be warmly congratulated! Please DO NOT clean or "enhance" the coin in any way.

Definitely allow NCS to remove any or all active contaminates and then have it placed into a genuine holder, either PCGS or NGC.

Very cool find and a 2K coin slabbed!

Definitely allow NCS to remove any or all active contaminates and then have it placed into a genuine holder, either PCGS or NGC.

Very cool find and a 2K coin slabbed!

Despite my first reply, I agree about the removal of active contaminants.

You can even donate a Redbook to the school library with your story on the inside cover. Might spark more than a few new collectors/detectors.

great story!

You can even donate a Redbook to the school library with your story on the inside cover. Might spark more than a few new collectors/detectors.

great story!

excellent idea I will def do that.

I am sending the coin off tommorow when it comes back from Conservation and grading I will post pictures here so everyone can see the end results.