• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Latest Predictions For These 3 Rare Lincoln Cents?

16 posts in this topic

Was just wondering what other board members thoughts on these coins are.

The 1992-P Close AM (CAM) Lincoln Cent (last count:3 known)

1988-D Reverse of 1989 RDV-006 (Mule) (last count:less than 10 known)

The 1988-P Reverse of 1989 RDV-006 (Mule) (last count:less than 50 known)

The RDV-006 coins have not hit the CherryPickers Guide yet.NGC and PCGS dont certify the variety yet either.

I have not heard of the second two and I would imagine the rarity on all 3 of these has more to do with the value of the coins, and the fact that many folks don't do a lot of searching for modern varities unless they're Double Dies. That's not to say the coins couldn't genuinly be rare but in my experience the low pops probably have a whole lot to do with low interest hm

Maybe you missed the word "MULE"

" In the parlance of numismatists, a "mule" is "a coin or note with a mismatched obverse and reverse." This may mean different types, different denominations, or even different countries. It is an exceptionally rare error, and specimens of this type are exceptionally prized by collectors."

How can the coin be a mule when it's the same denomination? Meaning one year of Lincoln cent with another years reverse? I know there are several Morgans with different year reverses and they are not categorized as mules, just varities so maybe you can fill us on on what makes these varities Mules (thumbs u

http://www.lincolncentresource.com/Featured/1988RDV6.html

"Jeff Snow discovered a 1988 cent bearing a

reverse design intended for coinage

beginning in the year 1989. The 1989

reverse is referred to as RDV-006. This is

the newest transitional variety discovery.

A subtle but unmistakable change in font in

the designer's initials is the most

distinguishing characteristic of the 1988

RDV-006. Looking under modest

magnification for the flared "G" in the

designers initials is the easiest method of

identification of this transitional MULE"

-----------------------------------------------------

"A mule coin is a coin that has an obverse (heads side) and reverse (tails side) design that wouldn't ordinarily go together on the same coin."

The 1989 reverse would not ordinarily go on a 1988 coin and was thus a mint error.

None of these coins will ever be desirable, increase in value, or be in high demand. They are incredibly minor and insignificant varieties, with very low populations, and hard for even the most die-hard variety collectors to get excited about. Sorry.

I have never heard of the same denomination being classified as a mule....and that definition would make several IHC's and Morgans mules....and basically they are not and never have been classified as mules so I think that its a lose interpretation. I mean are we saying that these coins had lincoln obverses and didn't have memorial reverse? If they did and the reverse had a minor design change than I can't imagine any long term value for these coins. Supply and demand are needed to drive prices.....a low supply alone does not make them valuable over the long run. Plus how many more are waiting to be found? How many collectors are searching through 1988 Lincoln cents???

When you ask for opinions it is considered good form(manners) to listen to the responses offered. doh! There is no need to defend your own beliefs at the expense of the posters who took up your offer. Very bad form (tsk)

I think the 92 cent will be one that will continue to rise. It can be seen without a loupe. When I go through change, I take extra time to look at all the 2000,1999,1998, and 1992 cents looking at the reverse. I also look for the 1995 DDO, but never found one.

Was just wondering what other board members thoughts on these coins are.

The 1992-P Close AM (CAM) Lincoln Cent (last count:3 known)

1988-D Reverse of 1989 RDV-006 (Mule) (last count:less than 10 known)

The 1988-P Reverse of 1989 RDV-006 (Mule) (last count:less than 50 known)

The RDV-006 coins have not hit the CherryPickers Guide yet.NGC and PCGS dont certify the variety yet either.

My prediction is that when you lump them together, you can afford something that costs three cents.

Toaster,

There is another forum where, undoubtedly, everyone will probably agree with you (except those few who post here as well), but that is there and this is here. I know you don't like the responses you've gotten here, but they are entitled to their opinion.

Chris