• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can You all help with a St Gaudens?

24 posts in this topic

OK I changed photos to a set , I know they are bad but will someone click the link for me and see if anything shows up ,I have 15 photos in an album there..

Thanks

Gary

Welcome to the boards, looks like a nice common date28, perhaps a 63 or maybe a 64, depends on the surfaces which are hard to judge from a photo, nice coin though.

nice eye appealling coin

now hard to tell from the somewhat blurry grainy photo and i cant take photos myself

the coin appears to be a choice unc. and has positive++ eye appeal

nice coin!!

the 1924 is the all time common coin of the series and this coin is somewhat better but still an available date but this date in unc. usually has very good or better eye appeal

a neat historical coin and one of the worlds most beautiful gold coins and almost an ounce of gold .9675 net pure gold (thumbs u

Thanks for the opinions and the welcome here guys.

I do need either a better camera or better eyes. I am going to try and get photos today or something. I think it would be worth sending off to NGC for grading now.

Ok I added a few more pictures that I scanned and they came out a LOT better than my camera pics..

http://home.comcast.net/~garywv/pwpimages/20gold001.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~garywv/pwpimages/20goldreverse002.jpg

Thanks

Gary

Sorry for the double picture post but wanted to make sure they came through.

And thanks for the help I will be sending this off to be graded by NGC as soon as I get my submiting number from them..

Gary

Even though I don't think it will grade super high, it's probably wise to send to NGC just to have it authenticated. So often people apply significant discounts to raw gold given the uncertainty involved in buying raw gold. Good luck!

from the new photos it looks

gem unc. ms 65 to me

an easy ms 65 from the photos

possibly higher??

i guess time will tell from ngc and please keep us informed on here on how it all turns out

If it wasn't a 1928 I might agree with you michael, but for a common date like this one, I would be surprised if it graded higher than 63 based on those photos.

I would grade that $20 gold at MS-62 with a possibility of making MS-63. It has a number of marks on it, none too serious, but certainly severe enough to keep it below MS-64. There also might be a small rub on Ms. Liberty’s belly which accounts for MS-62 grade.

Comment about tough grading on common date Saints is valid, although I seen them go both ways. I’ve seen some over graded pieces offered by sellers who are really more “gold dealer” than numismatist. NGC graded this 1922 Saint (common date) MS-63, which I thought was on the conservative side.

192220GoldO.jpg192220GoldR.jpg

Thanks again for the help now that the scan shows a better photo of the coin.

I will be sending it off even for any grade above bullion price.

Also I am new to grading as well but can someone explain or direct me somewhere to explain why a common date would grade lower than a rare date coin?

I thought the grade scale was accross the board for grading points, whether a rare or common date coin.

And one more question how can you guys post pictures without it going to a link like I have to?I went to the FAQ section and it says to post a link to photos so that what I did, but it comes up as a link not a photo.

Thanks for the input and help to a new guy ..

Gary

Gary,

I think the grading differences for common dates is simply human nature. For a 1922, 24, 27 or 28, there are literally thousands of them out there, so when grading companies see so many, they tend to grade them more conservatively. Also there are strike characteristics that make these dates different as well, as they are almost uniformly well struck with clean fields, etc. Compare that to some of the earlier dates with very weak strikes, and you can really notice a difference between two coins with the same grade. Ultimately though, it's just an opinion, and the advantage is for those putting together type sets, you can get a really beautiful MS-63 or MS-64 from the common years that anyone would be proud to have in their collections.

As for posting a photo, there is a button when you post for including an image, it inserts the code "" in the message, so just put the web address for your photo between the image codes.

good luck with the grading and let us know how it turns out

the coin will be more in demand and for more $$$$ in the ngc graded holder

I thought the grade scale was accross the board for grading points, whether a rare or common date coin.

The grading should be consistent across the board regardless of the date and rarity, but unfortunately that's not always the case. It might not seem like to you, common date St. Gaudens $20 pieces are sort of like "stuff" to many coin graders. They have been submitted in large quantities for grading by some of the gold dealers I mentioned earlier, and their purpose was to provide a way for investors to buy gold as as for them to buy a numismatic item. Given these large bulk submissions, the grading has not always been as consistent as it should have been. Therefore a collector with a "good eye" can avoid the less attractive pieces and find some pretty bargains in the process.

Thanks for the info.

Also what is the best way to sell coins that have been graded without ebay or auction style so I dont have $200 tied up in fees with them and PayPal..

They have really cornered the market on there fees now.. I have only sold a few items over a thousand dollars and by the time they are done with their cut it seems I would rather sell elswhere..

Also I am wondering , I had just picked up a few coins from my Fathers estate , and I am not going to sell any of but some down the line IF they are worth grading I am going to send then to NGC to get slabbed, But also He collected Silver on the most part so I might just sell my bullion and the St Gaudens just to add to his collection and get some nice CC Dollars , I remember years ago those where what he really liked to get added to his collection.We used to Metal detect 30 years ago in Kentucky and thats when we started hitting coin shows and all , but when we moved to Florida in 74 we only detected a few times Then he quit collecting all together .We do have about another few hunded coins to try to figure out how to divide because they are nice coins (mostly common date stuff but in cardboard type or flips that where seller graded and sold at shows) between the 5 of us kids , And we do not want to sell any of his collection , But I might sell off a few regular coins to my brother to ad to the CC type collection.

I am not good with grades so I will only stick with NGC, PCGS slabs so I can be sure of what I am getting..

Thanks for reading and all the help here guys I really want to continue his collection for him .

Thanks

Gary

Hey Gary, you can always post what you have for sale in THE MARKETPLACE. There are a lot of good guys here who would give you a fair offer and you would definitely not have to worry about the high fees. Welcome to the party.

Thanks I will keep that in mind when I get it off to grade,, still waiting on my submiting number.. I hear they have been busy over there with a lot of gold being sold in this economy..

Also if interested I put the pictures on a different server so now you can even zoom in to get a better idea of the coin. I have had the coin now for 25 years and didnt even notice some of the marks that are on the coin. But the scan really gives me a better look at it , I think I am going to scan all of the coins in my set so I can ge a better idea of condition as well as getting some kind of tracking software that I can load pictures into..

Gary

Thanks Guys,

I did not recieve a submit number from NGC but they want me to join to get a submit #. But I dont have any coins other than this one that is worth sending off to grade so I am not going to send it to NGC for grade. I did take it to a local coin shop that opened , he has been around for about 5 years I just had not found him until he opened a new shop on the main Hwy.

He says he would grade it a MS63 and that he has been a grader for a few of the grading companies as well for quite a few years until he opened his own shop.Anyway he offered me 1300 for it , my question is does that sound about right price wise for a MS 63 St Gaudens? I know that he needs to make a little profit to cover his side of it but I would rather knock off a few dollars than sending off to grade paying for membership to send it off for grade then pay auction fees if I was to ebay it or something.

So what kind of money does a MS63 1928 St Gaudens get , in average. I dont think he is trying to rip me off but $1300 sounds a little low as well..

Thanks

Gary

today right now current wholesale prices paid by legit dealers for raw ms 63 saints are $1400 and we are assuming they got customers for the coin

if you had a pcgs coin ms 63 that a dealer liked as ms 63 and had customers for i would say he would pay you $1500 wholesale for it

and well i am not telling you anything you did not realize as you said his offer of 1300 was on the low side and he is not trying to rip you

and you are absolutely correct