• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Size limits: How small a coin can NGC slab?

5 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Since NGC will be certifying California Fractional Gold starting March 1, I'm certain we can holder coins down to about 9-10mm, but 5mm is just too small. shocked.gif

I've seen some coins graded by NGC, but not slabbed. They were issued an insert and placed in a sealed flip (possibly sealed by the seller and not NGC). I am not referring to the "pre-grade" flips of early NGC. These had fairly new inserts. They were Russian pattern coins from I believe the 18th century and they are way too big to fit in an NGC slab.

Is it possible that NGC would grade this 5mm coin and put it in a sealed flip?

For example, with the Russian pattern coins, what kind of grade guarantee would NGC offer with the coins sealed in the flip? Or is the NGC insert with grade just a courtesy since these were extremely rare coins?

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

In reply to Greg's post, NGC will grade oversize coins that are otherwise eligible. Since we cannot seal them in our holder, no grading guarantee would apply. You are correct that such grading is simply a courtesy.

I don't see why the same terms wouldn't apply to undersize coins, but it's the submitter's decision whether it's worthwhile.