• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

There is a different darkside here.

14 posts in this topic

I was really looking forward to being on these forums again this weekend. Some of us have not been here since the last time CU went down over a year ago. At that time there was a big flood of CU members posting and all were welcome and a few chose to stay or at least visit from time to time. I am one of those that occassionaly pops in and reads a few post, but not enough action to keep me here full time. I like the format here, neat toys to use and a few more functions that CU doesn't have. What I did not expect was that coming back over and posting would be looked at as an intrusion. Over on the CU Darkside this would have never happened. We have had plenty of temporary members. Everytime this Australian site goes down we get to see some new Auzzie members and really look forward to their visits. I guess that some here are still holding a grudge against being banned at CU. But we had nothing to do with that. All we wanted to do was talk coins, but were not welcomed. Thanks NGC!

Well, the way I understand it, the 'go home' was more 'tongue in cheek' rather than throwing stones. I found it more playful, when you know the personalities. Some folks got offended, which I think is silly. No one made personal attacks, just playful and general remarks. In reality, if you have a thin skin, you shouldn't post on any forum.

TRUTH

I was really looking forward to being on these forums again this weekend.

These forums are open all the time, not only when the CU forums are down.

I am one of those that occassionaly pops in and reads a few post, but not enough action to keep me here full time.

I count 13 threads STARTED by you in the last month over at CU. If you would like to see the action pick up here, contribute. If you are one of the people who will only go where there is action, then stay at CU. I'm sure you have much knowledge to lend others. There is no reason why you can't do that here also. Even a copy/paste of your threads from over at the other forum would help spur activity over here. When these forums started out, several members did the copy/paste thing. The forums grew and now that is no longer necessary for the US coin forum. I'm sure the same will happen for the foreign coin forum.

I guess that some here are still holding a grudge against being banned at CU.

I see you went to the TDN school of logic. Anything not 100% pro-PCGS is bias. FYI, nothing I wrote had anything to do with PCGS or CU or David Hall or banning or anything else like that. EVERYTHING had to do with the attitude of the members/leeches coming over. The forum members that are here all the time and contribute work hard to help make this a place that is interesting and full of knowledge. To have a bunch of people come here and pretend to be forum members and say that "while our great forum is down we'll just use this one. Hope you regular forum members don't mind, but so what if you do. Then when ours is back we can all go home." That's very disrespectful to the people who work hard at making this a good place to be. It's downright rude. And if you think my response to them was rude, good. Them not posting here 2 days a year will not be missed. Neither will their attitude. This forum will grow without them. It will grow by attracting respectful forum members.

All we wanted to do was talk coins, but were not welcomed. Thanks NGC!

This place is open 24/7/365. You're welcome anytime. We'd love to have you as a contributing member. However, if you're only going to drop by when you're bored because the other forum is down, I can't say that we'll get too excited by your presence. And don't thank NGC, it's my opinion - a forum member.

I'm sorry if some people got offended by my post. It's my opinion and I believe it is shared by many on these forums. If all this place is going to be is a back-up playground then expect to be treated like back-up forum members. If the only time you're going to show up here is when your forums are down, don't expect us to welcome you with open arms.

I don't think the NGC darkside expressed hostility towards anyone.

Sure there is some frustration from the regulars, especially in the Water Cooler. How would you feel if people who you see across the street constantly dissing the "Kingdom of Sleep" or whatever suddenly started showing up when their preferred forum went down? Or even worse show up with a chip on your shoulder. No one like being sloppy seconds or a newbie with and attitude. The Aussie guys don't bring attitudes when they visit the PCGS darkside and (as far as I know) they don't criticise the forum in their absenses.

You said you just wanted to talk coins but I've seen far more garbage posts than coin posts (1jester excepted) from the newcomers this weekend.

Anyway, stay or leave as you prefer. If you stay please contribute something other than statements on how the other place is better. If you leave farewell.

-JamminJ

Without trying to judge anyone either way, I'd like to say that it's not all that easy to devote your all to two different forums. I'd gladly like to be able to share as much here as over there, but I guess it was sort of the luck of the draw that I started over there first, and then I got more involved with my Jester's Challenge series, and it's a logistical challenge to try to link or import that info over here.

I suppose part of it has to do with the fact that there's more traffic over there, so it's at the same time a bit more entertaining (in my opinion) as well as more fulfilling, because there's more to learn at one go. I've visited this place many times without seeing much additional info, even for weeks at a time, and that's due to lack of traffic and participation. Granted, it's gotten a lot better over the last couple of months. And I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a net contributor over here.

Would you all be in favor of me linking my Challenges to this forum? I could, and would be willing to do that, but it seems a bit juvenile to me to come here, and post a link to my work on another forum.

Most all of you recognize my name here in this Forum. You also see it in just about every other Forum there is on the net. I visit and post on them all. Usually my posts are made when I have something to say I think others may be interested in hearing - sometimes they are not interested. Other times my posts are made in fun or to tease a particular member. Other than that - I keep my mouth shut. I don't think have ever made a post that was disparaging about any particular Forum or Forum member. I don't ever intend to.

I come here, just I do in all the other Forums, to learn, to share, to make friends and to just have fun. I just can't see for the life of me why everyone else can't do the same in all the Forums or the single Forum of their choice if that is what they wish.

Come on spinnaker. I'm sure that you didn't really get offended. It's all in good fun and you know it.

There is however a different Darkside here. It's not as British oriented as the other and that's a good thing.

I personally read much more than I post here and I'm glad to see all these familiar names, even if some threads reminded me of the invasions on the stamp forum. wink.gif

Dimitri

smirk.gif If I can figure out how to post pics here, i'll be back. Greg, you never answered my question in my orginal thread: Have you gotten any new S. Africa proofs lately??

1) If you need help with the pictures here, let me know.

2) None yet. I was planning on picking up a few sets since they look nice and have low mintages. However, the last few I bid on went way over catalog and I'm still trying to figure out what is a fair price for them. Until then, 17th century thalers for me. smile.gif

smirk.gif If I can figure out how to post pics here, i'll be back. Greg, you never answered my question in my orginal thread: Have you gotten any new S. Africa proofs lately??

1) If you need help with the pictures here, let me know.

2) None yet. I was planning on picking up a few sets since they look nice and have low mintages. However, the last few I bid on went way over catalog and I'm still trying to figure out what is a fair price for them. Until then, 17th century thalers for me. smile.gif

I have a an extra 1954 set that needs a good home. smile.gif

Would you all be in favor of me linking my Challenges to this forum? I could, and would be willing to do that, but it seems a bit juvenile to me to come here, and post a link to my work on another forum.

I usually just split my posting between the two forums, but more and more of my quality posting is migrating to this site. I just seem to get more, and more thoughtful replies over here.

Why not try linking an occasional coin if you think it will be of interest? Really no wrong decision here, go with whatever works for you.

Currently this board is heavy on the German and European Continental coins as these reflect the preferences of myself, Greg and GDJSMP, although I'm hoping Truthteller will post some of that Mexican Revolution coinage he likes. I generally like anything with historical interest, and if it can be historical and artistic simultaneously so much the better!

-JamminJ

It's true; one forum is obsessed with the British empire, the other with Central Europe , mostly Austrian and German coins. I guess I could eventually post some Greek coins of the 1833 -1857 king Otto era (of Bavaria, son of Ludwig ) , before there's a Great Forum War. ( it'll only take one more CU website service wink.gif )

more and more of my quality posting is migrating to this site

I have a strange feeling that I should keep this quote . Material for good laughs when we'll be much older with hundreds of thousands of posts each. smile.gif