• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

check out my NEWP

13 posts in this topic

I got this KM-101 from the forum's Most Evil One. It's very rare, with a mintage of 2,275 (for all varieties combined). This variety has the L mm on both sides. At a first glance, I don't know why it's AU55. From my experience with US coins, this would either be BB'ed or be MS62. I'll have to discuss this with His Evil Highness.

15083773.jpg

PS I'm not thinking of returning the coin. It's extremely attractive in hand. Rather, I'm wondering if it's worth another shot with the services.

Why would you think that would be BB'd?

The coin is very flashy, with semi-satiny, semi-PL surfaces. Consequently, you can see handling lines in the fields. I fear that the field lines will be considered as cleaning/wiping. I guess that may be why it's an AU55 -- field wear.

Very nice piece.

Thanks!

EV, often times with prooflike and semi prooflike coins, those lines are actually mint made die polish lines - it is this polish which imparted the prooflikeness in the first place (not entirely sure that's a word, but I'm gonna go with it). If they are indeed mint made, that would not hinder the grade. Wear almost univerally occurs on the high points - look at the high points of your coin for discoloration. With a 55, there is not going to be very much wear at all.

PCGS is much more likely to grade a world coin AU if there is a lot of field chatter. I've handled numerous PCGS AU5x coins where there was absolutely no wear on the high points of the coin, just some marks in the fields. NGC is much more likely to (in my opinion) correctly grade these coins - usually around MS62.

From what I remember about the coin (it was consigned), the surfaces had a nice flashy quality to them which results in the marks and hairlines jumping off the surfaces. It's going to be hard to get these in an unc slab with PCGS.

I notice I wrote "Very solid for the grade." in the auction description. That's something I usually only write if I think the coin could easily upgrade, but not a lock.

Check out this newp. I don't have it in hand yet; en route as I type... I am told that it is very PL, and the scan sucks. (I sure hope the scan doesn't do the coin justice, because the scan really makes the coin uninteresting.)

315375004.jpg

If you don't like the coin when it arrives, I'll buy it from you for $600. (thumbs u

Only if I can buy the Mining taler for $6,000. :banana:

Also, Shiroh, thanks!

If you don't like the coin when it arrives, I'll buy it from you for $600. (thumbs u

Only if I can buy the Mining taler for $6,000. :banana:

Also, Shiroh, thanks!

This old thing? :devil:

dav7791.jpg