• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WEEK #427 HAVE A SAFE AND HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY

21 posts in this topic

• Administrator

QUESTION:

Only a few USA presidents have appeared on a coin in their own lifetimes. Who was the first?

Our first place winner will receive a copy of, Weimar Whites Coin Cemistry, Second Edition.

There will also be a runner up prize given to a randomly selected player with the correct answer.

REMINDER: The Numisma-Quest ends on Saturday at midnight EST. Entries after that time will not be valid. See the Trivia info post for more details.

When you post your answer, only the administrators can see it. Stop back this Tuesday. We will make all the posts visible and announce the winners.

Calvin Coolidge was the first and only President to have his portrait appear on a coin minted while he was still alive.

Lisa please state the others since I can only find one of them.

I will guess Silent Cal, Calvin Coolidge on the 1926 Sesquicentennial half dollar. I think Washington was on a few during his lifetime, but I think they were all technically tokens or patterns and hence not "coins."

According to the US Mint at this web location:

http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint/?flash=yes&action=fun_facts

it is:

Calvin Coolidge was the first President to have his portrait appear on a coin struck during his lifetime.

I also found this on the internet:

A number of experimental coins were struck during Washington's presidency but he refused to allow his picture to be used on official coinage because he felt it was too much like the British practice of putting the King's or Queen's portrait on coins.

Calvin Coolidge on the 1926 150th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence commemorative half dollar

Calvin Coolidge on the 1926 Sesquicentennial of American Independence :)

The official answer is Calvin Coolidge, who was featured on the 1926 Sesquicentennial commemorative half dollar, along-side George Washington.

However, if one counts coins circulated but not produced by the U.S. Mint, George Washington's portrait was put on a number of circulating tokens in the 1790s.

• Administrator

QUESTION:

Only a few USA presidents have appeared on a coin in their own lifetimes. Who was the first?

Answer: Calvin Coolidge (the 1926 American Sesquicentennial Half Dollar)

Our first place winner AtlaZ will receive a copy of, Weimar Whites Coin Cemistry, Second Edition.

physics-fan3.14 has won a single coin display box.

Please stop by this Friday for the PMG Numisma-Quest question