• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How would you spend $2000 on coins?

How would you spend $2000?  

159 members have voted

1. 1. How would you spend $2000?

34 posts in this topic

Let's suppose an obscure but generous uncle passed away and left you $2000 in his will with the stipulation that it only be spent on coins.

Would you buy...

1) One $2000 coin.

2) Ten $200 coins.

3) 100 $20 coins.

Please vote.

PS - I would choose ten $200 coins.

Well my Roosevelt set is almost complete and none of the coins can be bought for under $200 so I voted for the one for $2000.

I already now which one I would get. 1950 NGC PF67UC or 1951 NGC PF68UC

I always buy the best I can afford, so one coin @ 2K is my vote...

Ten years ago I would of went the other way but I still trying to sell those coins without losing my shirt on them as I've moved on to to other things...

High end coins hold there value in good or bad times...

Commons in this economy are taking a bath across the board form what I can see...

Not enough options!

Buy 4 - $500 boxes of halves and keep searching boxes until I have converted all 4000 coins to 40% & 90% silver.

Sell everything for about $11K.

Buy a nice 1879CC Morgan in MS64 for about $8K and use the remaining $3K to buy more $500 boxes to search.

Chris

I so rarely get to the opportunity to buy a multi-thousand dollar coin so when I do get that much saved up I spend it all on a single coin that I wouldn’t normally be able to afford.

I wouldn't change my spending habits, just because of becoming rich. I'd be the same ignorant collector of $200-400 coins.

BTW Chris,

You're too cool.

Jim

Although I would love to have a single $2000 coin (a 1936-D quarter would do nicely), I could fill a lot more holes with ten coins at $200 each. So I choose option #2.

I'd wait and let the coin or coins come to me, based on their appeal, rather than deciding what to buy ahead of time.

I wouldn't change my spending habits, just because of becoming rich. I'd be the same ignorant collector of $200-400 coins.

BTW Chris,

You're too cool.

Jim

Actually, it kind of surprises me that some of the others wouldn't think of using the $2K "gift horse" to try to turn it into a full team of Budweiser Clydesdales.

Chris

I'd wait and let the coin or coins come to me, based on their appeal, rather than deciding what to buy ahead of time.

I've got to say this is my collecting strategy. While I want to build a basic U.S. type set, the coin needs to grab me. For example, I bought an Antietam commemorative half last weekend. Doesn't fit the set, had no plans on getting a commem at this time (an Oregon was likely going to be the first one when I did get one), but the look/toning of the coin I bought just grabbed me.

I voted on one coin for 2K.

I picked ten $200 coins with a slight alteration. I would get six $200 coins for my Dansco 7070 and then spend $400 each on the two Seated Dollars, that would finish the remaining holes in my album and allow for a couple of upgrades.

I guess it really depends on the situation. Normaly I would answer either one of the above ways but as of yet I am the only person that has voted for the 100 coins at $20.

The reason I voted that way is because I am going to be facing this decision soon.

My Great Grandmother passed on about 6-7 months ago. I remember all through my childhood asking to see a couple of coffee cans full of silver dollars she had. You see, back in the '30s when she went on her honeymoon her and my GreatGrandfather went to Atlantic city. She hit the jackpot on one of the dollar slots and she saved those dollars for well over 70 years. They were all well circulated common date Morgans and Peace dollars but you could tell that these coins meant a lot to her. Last time I visited her when she was still alive, as always I asked to look at the silver dollars. She told me that she decided she didn't need them anymore and that she didn't even know why she was still holding on to them. Though we didn't know it at the time she was in the early stages of alzimers (sp?). She had given them to my great aunt to see how much she could get out of them. I don't know who she sold them to but they told her that they were not worth anything and paid her face value for them.

My heart sank, not because she sold the coins but because I knew how badly she had been taken.

Well, soon I will be receiving a check from her estate for just a little over $2000. My plan is to buy a bunch of common date well circulated silver dollars and put them into a couple of coffee cans in her memory.

In the current market I would buy $2000.00 worth of silver bullion coins. If you are alive and breathing no explanation is needed.

$ilverHawk

In the current market I would buy $2000.00 worth of silver bullion coins. If you are alive and breathing no explanation is needed.

$ilverHawk

With the world economy the way it is precious metals are looking better all the time.

$ilverHawk

With the world economy the way it is precious metals are looking better all the time.

Which is why I'm going to be trying to get more if and when I can.

I never expected the voting to be so one sided towards one $2000 coin. This poll really opened my eyes.

And I'm surprised that no one said "Where is the 1000 $2 coins option?"

Except my boss! :grin:

I would buy what best fit my collecting goals when I found the coin(s).

I agree, and would add that this would likely be closest to 10 $200 coins.

Then again, I'm a college student and haven't bought a coin since October. ;)

I chose 10 coins for $200 each. I suppose this option would change for me as I learn more about coins. For instance, my last comic purchase was $6000 for 1 book.