• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post a cameo Franklin or Kennedy.

44 posts in this topic

This is the real Liberty Bell in Philadelphia. The first time it was rung, it cracked.

philadelphia-liberty-bell.jpg

Thanks! (thumbs u

This is the real Liberty Bell in Philadelphia. The first time it was rung, it cracked.

Thanks! (thumbs u

There was actually a small controversy when the was being designed as to whether or not the crack should be shown. Some people thought having a cracked bell would be ridiculous and show America in a bad light. Others, rightly, thought that not showing the famous crack would be even more ridiculous.

Thanks! (thumbs u

There was actually a small controversy when the was being designed as to whether or not the crack should be shown. Some people thought having a cracked bell would be ridiculous and show America in a bad light. Others, rightly, thought that not showing the famous crack would be even more ridiculous.

It gives the coins character!

The second Mercury flight was named Liberty Bell 7. The pilot was Gus Grissom. He had the crack painted onto the exterior of the space capsule. When the capsule splashed down the ingress/egress hatch's explosive bolts blew (there is controversy over whether Grissom fired the hatch or not). The capsule filled up with ocean water and sank. Ever since then there has never been another space craft with a crack (or other deformity) painted on it.

It's no secret, I love my SMS cameos. Here are a couple, hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

1967 PCGS 67 Cam, so very close to dcam and better than my ucam.

03920655O.jpg03920655R.jpg

My 1966 NGC 66 Ucam, self made:

3051707-010O.jpg3051707-010R.jpg

And last but not least, my 1965 in PCGS 66 Cam. What a beauty. I love it more than my 65 in 67 Cam. Please don't drool too much, I've already taken care of that! :)

60023912O.jpg60023912R.jpg