• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Merchant of Venice.

20 posts in this topic

Any information you can give me about this ducat would be most appreciated. Thank you.

DucatObvHRO02.jpg

DucatRevHRO02.jpg

I have no idea - but I know it looks cool. I like it, especially the textured fields.

Hiho will be along shortly and will be able to tell you everything you need to know about it.

Not my area of expertise, but I'm guessing it's a 1343-1354 Venice Ducat minted under Andrea Dandolo. Fairly common coin even in high grade, but your example is very nice.

Hiho will be along shortly and will be able to tell you everything you need to know about it.

Who, me? :whistle:

Believe it or not all of my ducats are either Swiss or Dutch but I am interested in the Venetian ones as well. Once you have been to Venice you are hooked for life. The place is pure magic, especially at night.

While common it's probably worth between $400 - $1200 due to condition. Here are some recent auction results from the Goldbergs showing how well Mint State Venetian ducats do at auction...

http://www.mkjassociates.com/cgi-bin/ilgvuchp.pl?site=1&sale=41&chapter=108&page=1

As all Venetian ducats feature a similar theme it does take an expert to correctly identify each specific type. The Goldberg photos are excellent and can be used to ID your coin.

A little research proves that gmarguli is absolutely correct.

Here are the details...

Venice. Ducat, ND. Fr-1221; CNI pl III,15. 3.54 grams. 20.55 mm. Andrea Dandolo, 1343-1354. Obv: Doge kneeling before standing figure of St. Mark. Leg: ANDRADANDVLO /DVX/ S/M/V/E/N/E/T/I/. Reverse: Christ standing within stars. Leg: .SIT.T.XPE.DAT.Q.TV. REGIS.ISTE.DVCAT.

Here is the auction photo...

http://www.mkjassociates.com/cgi-bin/ilgvulot.pl?site=1&sale=41&lot=4118

Notice that the auction estimate was $600 - $700? Yet the coin realized $2100!

While not MS65 the ducat posted by SkyMan looks at least MS62 to me. Maybe MS63. It's probably worth about $1000.

Guys your both wrong ..... kinda :)

It is indeed a Venetian Ducat, but this one is from the period 1368-1382, minted under the rule of Doge Andrea Contarini. The Friedberg reference # is 1227.

The difference in this coin and one minted under Doge Andrea Dandolo is found in the obverse legend down the right side. Andrea Dandolo is "ANDRDANDVLO" and Andrea Contarini is "ANDRA’9TARENO"

I posted this across the street:

Design: OBVERSE: Doge (or Duke) kneeling before a standing figure of St. Mark handing the doge the Venetians’ sacred banner, the gonfalone. Down along the staff of the gonfalone is the word “DVX” – “duke” and the legend reads: SMVENETI – “Scared Money of Venice” on the left and on the right "ANDRA’9TARENO" or ANDREA CONTARINI, the name of the Doge. ~ REVERSE: Christ standing within a mandorla, with stars of heaven to either side, 4 stars on the left and 5 stars on the right; holding his right hand in benediction and the book of the Gospels in his left. The legend, in abbreviated Latin, SIT TIBI CHRISTE DATUS QUEM TU REGIS ISTE DUCATUS - “May This Royal Ducat (Duchy) Be Dedicated to Thee O’ Christ”

Mint: Venice (Zecca)

Mintage: Unknown

References: Fr. 1227

Specifications: Diameter – 20.0 mm

Weight – 3.500 g. @ 0.9860 Gold = .1107 oz AGW

Notes:

- Type I design. This design continued basically the same from 1285 until 1797 when Venice was captured by Napoleon.

- There was a total of 120 Doges from Year 697-1797

- Saint Mark is the patron saint of Venice

- The Venice (Zecca) Mint opened in 1284 and Venice soon became the primary market for gold in the world. In 1285 the first Venetian gold ducat was minted at 3.5 grams of .986 gold. These specifications for the ducat would remain the same until today. This coin, the “Ducat” became a symbol of wealth and power for the next 500 years.

- Considered by many to be the most important coin of the Middle Ages and one of the most popular gold coins ever.

italy1346ad.jpg By null at 2010-05-22[/img]

Here's the one that was mentioned prior.

Venice was founded because of Attila the HUN chasing the Italians into the marshes around 440 A.D. The city fell to Napoleon around 1797 - when he captured the DOGE.

Around 1,357 years - which is quite a long time.

roman441ad.jpg Shot at 2010-05-22[/img]

Here's the MONEY type they used to PAY OFF Attila the HUN from ATTACKING the Eastern ROMAN Empire.

Around 442 A.D. after scaring the heck out of the Folks of Venice...

Very nice gold there History Student.

I especially like the Venetian ducat in the NGC MS62 Edgeview holder. A real beauty!

Here is a imitation of the Venetian Ducat from the City of Achaia. The lettering around the rims is just babble as they were illiterate.

15045347.jpg

holland1750ad.jpg

Shot at 2010-05-26

holland1750rev.jpg

Shot at 2010-05-26

Leaving Venice for a moment and LOOKING for NGC holders in more recent DUCAT(s)

I've uploaded this one from HOLLAND. Probably made for CEYLON in the Spice trade therein. I think it's ONE of the highest ones graded by NGC.

That's why I was really impressed to see a MS64 Venice Ducat from so very LONG ago...

Before 1700 the higher MS grades like the GEM 64 & 65s are really really really rare.

I do own two Netherlands ducats that both graded MS61, a 1743 and a 1779, but MS62 examples are few and far between. Your 1750 is a beauty.

Here is a 1666 graded XF45 by NGC...

1666-1.jpg

1666-2.jpg

That's a beautiful coin too...1666

See how they emulate themselves over the years.

Anytime you find a coin OLDER than the 1790s you have a real keeper therein.

Especially in GOLD, for GOODNESS sakes...

Best wishes,

HS