• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Morgan Dollars! Key Dates vs Common Dates!

17 posts in this topic

I see their are 105 Morgan dollars listed in the registry set. I was wondering how many of them are key dates? Also, in what order would you rank them in scarcity and/or high demand.

Mike

hi there mike!

the below KEY DATES are ranked only IN TERMS OF high demand but they could also be scarce and since it is all demand in coins so be it as per the below

1895 proof only until they locate one of the assay commission circulation strikes

1893-s

1889-cc

1893-cc

1895-s

1903-s

1904-s

if i could only own one morgan dollar in a nice business strike circ. grade it would be the 1889-cc

I see their are 105 Morgan dollars listed in the registry set. I was wondering how many of them are key dates? Also, in what order would you rank them in scarcity and/or high demand.

In what grade range? Some coins are common in low grade, but very difficult in high grade. Interestingly, there are a few issues that are common in BU grade, but downright scarce in low grade.

So the grade range is important to answering your question...

In what grade range? Some coins are common in low grade, but very difficult in high grade. Interestingly, there are a few issues that are common in BU grade, but downright scarce in low grade.

So the grade range is important to answering your question...

MS65

hi there mike!

the below KEY DATES are ranked only IN TERMS OF high demand but they could also be scarce and since it is all demand in coins so be it as per the below

1895 proof only until they locate one of the assay commission circulation strikes

1893-s

1889-cc

1893-cc

1895-s

1903-s

1904-s

if i could only own one morgan dollar in a nice business strike circ. grade it would be the 1889-cc

Thanks Michael!

If your goal is to build a complete NGC registry set of Morgans in MS65 or higher, you'll need some very deep pockets.The total Numismedia value for the 1884-S, 1889-CC, 1892-S, 1893-S, 1895-O, 1896-O, and 1901 in MS65 is over $2,000,000. Of the 2032 sets currently in the NGC registry, only 2 sets are 100% complete with all MS coins. Neither of these sets are comprised of coins that are all MS65 or above. While many of the more common dates are readily available in MS65, there are many that are extremely rare and prohibitively expensive for most of us.

Mark

sig.jpg

hi there mike!

1893-s

1889-cc

1893-cc

1895-s

1903-s

1904-s

Thanks Michael!

your welcome

in ms 65 you will have maybe 4-6 more than the above

but the above are what i like to call absolute rarity in others words scarce to rare, not only in unc but also in circulated grades

If your goal is to build a complete NGC registry set of Morgans in MS65 or higher, you'll need some very deep pockets.The total Numismedia value for the 1884-S, 1889-CC, 1892-S, 1893-S, 1895-O, 1896-O, and 1901 in MS65 is over $2,000,000. Of the 2032 sets currently in the NGC registry, only 2 sets are 100% complete with all MS coins. Neither of these sets are comprised of coins that are all MS65 or above. While many of the more common dates are readily available in MS65, there are many that are extremely rare and prohibitively expensive for most of us.

Mark

sig.jpg

I will probable have to settle for a much lower grade for some of these coins. That is a very nice set. Is it yours?

Mike

Hi Mike. :hi: I'm currently working on my New Orleans mint Morgan set. I figure picking one mint type will make it easier to get a nice high grade set.

Hi Mike. :hi: I'm currently working on my New Orleans mint Morgan set. I figure picking one mint type will make it easier to get a nice high grade set.
Wow, that's really cool! :applause:

I'm working on a complete set in G-BU. ;)

In those grades, the only REAL stopper is '95.

That's great RMA! :applause:

If you're talking MS65 then the condition rarity 1884-S needs to be on that list, in MS65 that's one of the most valuable Morgan Dollars.

There's a few like this, Morgans that are common in circ (A VG 84-S is a common coin and really worth little over melt) yet VERY expensive in Unc. The reason is that almost every single 84-S that survived entered circulation, none were in the treasury releases to my knowledge.

If you're talking MS65 then the condition rarity 1884-S needs to be on that list, in MS65 that's one of the most valuable Morgan Dollars.

There's a few like this, Morgans that are common in circ (A VG 84-S is a common coin and really worth little over melt) yet VERY expensive in Unc. The reason is that almost every single 84-S that survived entered circulation, none were in the treasury releases to my knowledge.

Thanks! (thumbs u

WOW, a complete set of Morgans at MS65 and higher? Thats setting the bar pretty high.
I'm going to have to settle for a lesser grade on the key dates.

There are a few dates that do not cost much more in BU than AVG Circ grades. For instance, 1885-cc and 1903-o For coins like this buy the highest grade you can afford, the "price compression" between high and low grades for such coins makes the high grades a distinct value.