• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Photo Contest Finals - Obverse - WINNER Announced

Coin Contest Finals - Obverse  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Coin Contest Finals - Obverse

33 posts in this topic

1938profile.jpg

Here are the top 4 vote getters determined from the combined scores of PCGS and NGC polls. Winner will be announced Saturday, noon Pacific. Great job to everyone involved and thank you for sticking with it for 8 months.

Don't forget to vote for the

Reverse

Coin 6

coin6obverse.jpg

Coin 11

Coin11obv-1.jpg

Coin 18

Coin18obv-1.jpg

Coin 23

coin23obverse.jpg

I just wanted to let you know, I have enjoyed this immensely....and I have no experience in photography, but historically from all the posts about how hard it is to capture the true likeness of a coin, I congratulate all of the entrants.

Good luck!

It is hard to believe that all of those pictures are of the same coin. I won't feel so bad now when I fail to truly capture its essence. Outstanding pictures and a terrific thread. Thank you for sharing this with us :cool:

It's been really good of you Bob to take this contest through from thought to completion. While the contestants are all to be congratulated, I think you are the one most to be congratulated. :applause:

It's been really good of you Bob to take this contest through from thought to completion. While the contestants are all to be congratulated, I think you are the one most to be congratulated. :applause:

:applause: I agree 100%!! :applause:

Thanks guys, but it was purely out of my desire to share the headache I developed trying to image this coin with everyone else. I think that goal was achieved. :grin:

X3 :hi:

To Bob and all entrants--------Thank You and you are all winners. You all have given the forum members many pleasant moments viewing your work---no losers in this group.

Jim

I agree totally. There are only winners with this group. This was one devil of a coin to photograph and these people did a phenomenal job. In most cases the separation between professional and amateur was not that wide. A super job done by all. :golfclap:

I do appreciate the professionals, in particular Mark Goodman, participating in this contest. For him it was a no win situation. Just by shear reputation, he was the overwhelming favorite. I'm sure all the amateurs enjoyed the opportunity to compete against the best. Not only compete, but to hold their own as there are more amateurs in the finals than professionals. :headbang:

coin23obverse.jpgcoin23reverse.jpg

Congratulations to the winner of the past 3 photo contests, #23 Messydesk. By coincidence, the winner of the reverse image was also John.

A fabulous job by all, but the voters have overwhelmingly chosen John's image the best of the bunch.

Who ever wants to match the coin number with a name I'm sure there would be plenty of interest.

Congrats there Messydesk. Really enjoyed the opportunity Bob. Really lets me know how much work I still need to be better at picturing coins. lol

I really liked yours Jason. I thought they were among the best. I think the biggest difference between yours and John's were the lack of glare on his. I don't know how he managed it. He must have taken it out of the holder. :taptaptap:

Actually Jason here is a side by side of yours and John's and I can see where your coin was better focused. Just that stinkin' glare.

Coin21obv-1.jpgcoin23obverse.jpg

Same with the reverse

Coin21rev-1.jpgcoin23reverse.jpg

Congratulations to messydesk and all of you are winners in my book. Thanks Bob for putting this wonderful contest together!

Congratulations to messydesk and all of you are winners in my book. Thanks Bob for putting this wonderful contest together!

Double Ditto! :applause:

Tremendous contest!

I liked many of the images. Truth be told, I am satisfied with how close my images were to the coin in-hand. In my opinion, the "TrueView" images were not a very good representation of how the coin truly looks.

Congrats to MessyDesk!

Tremendous contest!

I liked many of the images. Truth be told, I am satisfied with how close my images were to the coin in-hand. In my opinion, the "TrueView" images were not a very good representation of how the coin truly looks.

Congrats to MessyDesk!

Very true, the coin is much darker in hand, unless you have a light directly on it. James, yours was very close to that appearance.

Thanks for the votes, everyone, and thanks for the contest, Bob. Not an easy coin to shoot, and definitely not a coin that should trade hands based on one picture.

So, has anyone ascertained just what happened to the gasket?

That was certainly an interesting side note on this example.

Probably intense heat from halogen lights baking the slab too long (yet another reason I use CFL bulbs). Could also be the mail was irradiated.

Congrats to Messydesk. He takes outstanding photos. I remember a while back when we had a photo contest over at the PCGS boards on a 1912 MPL. I was in that contest as well and voted for Sir Desk. I think his photos are outstanding, but I think there were some other photos that might have shown the color better.

Jason... is the obverse photo on yours a compilation? It looks like the center, bust, is one photo and the fields another? Kinda like what you did on your colorful Franky.

My photo's were #2, as seen below. Thanks to Bob for so graciously allowing us to see and photo such a wonderful coin. Looking forward to the next contest.

coin2obv-1.jpg

coin2rev-1.jpg