• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DENA!!!!!!!!!!! 36 points????????????????????????

15 posts in this topic

Ok how come a 1999 Silver PR69DC gets 80 points compared to the nickel I mentioned earlier.

Another thing last I looked I never owned a 1964 PR69DC Dime but I do have a 1964 PR68DC dime. Just a few more wierd things in my Mixed Modern 20th Century type set.

TDN tongue.gif

NGC is scoring the piece as a PR-69 (no CAM, no DCAM) instead of a MS-69FS. Might e-mail Dena and ask her about how the piece is classified.

A true MS-69FS would get over 1,200 points, but that would also equivalate to a coin that costs considerably more than the 1994 and 1997 SMS pieces run.

Ok how come a 1999 Silver PR69DC gets 80 points compared to the nickel I mentioned earlier.

Because a SILVER nickel would be rather rare. Weren't these all minted in CLAD?

Basically the I was trying to compare the costs vs points. A 1999 Silver PR69DCAM dime can be had for $25.00 the 1997 MS69 FS Matte Nickle costs $375.00.

Don't forget you are a TYPE collector. The 1994 MS69FS SMS nickel could be had for $125. laugh.gif

Also, if the coin is being counted as a proof (which it is), a PR-69DC can be had much cheaper than the coin you chose.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

That's the concept behind type collecting. The scoring is based on a particular type in a particular grade, regardless of its date rarity.

As for the 1997 MS SPECIMEN nickels and similar such anomalous issues, they are not eligible for type sets at all. This coin is neither a brilliant proof nor a regular uncirculated piece, so it can't be scored as a type coin.