• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doesn't marketing like this make you mad?

17 posts in this topic

If a Morgan won the west like it says they did, why aren't they selling a Carson City Morgan for $99?

That's what I thought. New Orleans and the Old West? New Orleans is a long way from anywhere I would consider the Old West.

Well, thinking about for a minute, I lived in New Orleans for a spell and if you were standing in New Orleans proper, the other side of the Mississippi River was considered the "West Bank" so I have to recant my idea of what is considered "West" :eek:

I respect that this kind of marketing bothers a lot of folks, but it has never bothered me at all. This markup pales in comparison to that which we see on many things we buy every day.

Is a 20 oz. soda at a baseball game fairly priced at $6.95?

And, I paid $15.99 for a haircut today that took about five minutes.

And the vet charged me $140 yesterday for my dog's fifteen minute visit. Blood sample? That alone was $39. For a DOG!

By the way, nobody forced me to make any of those purchases.

agreed and of course no one was forced to buy this

but it is still deceptive marketing and cheating by playing on peoples passions

of course it might be legal but it does not help promote the hobby and does not promote giving fair value for money paid and not an honest and ethical business practice

but such is capitalism and i guess some inequities have to be accepted for the greater good of what is currently the best system in the world as compaired to other systems currently in place in other countries

this type of thing is currently PROMOTED and GLORIFIED on the PCGS BOARDS AND PCGS REGISTRY when someone slabs a common modern coin that is worth $$$$$$$ HUGELY/substancially more in the holder than out of the holder

again might be legal but is not ethical nor an honest business practise

So, how come it's not noted on the holder that it's a modern coin (fake)? It seems that some people might purchase this thinking it's an original.

So, how come it's not noted on the holder that it's a modern coin (fake)? It seems that some people might purchase this thinking it's an original.

it is a real morgan dollar the problem here is it is a 20 dollar coin priced 5 times as much with a fancy holder and lots of happy bullcrap talk in a cute wooden holder

it is a real morgan dollar the problem here is it is a 20 dollar coin priced 5 times as much with a fancy holder and lots of happy bullcrap talk in a cute wooden holder

Thanks! (thumbs u

Very good comparisons. It really is amazing how we all are lured into transactions that don't stand up to the logic test.

Revenant, I understand your outrage, but you are an informed buyer. This ad is aimed at ripping off the uninformed buyer.

Hey, the soundtrack is inspiring. lol

Stated in their literature:

"The Morgan Silver Dollar. First minted in 1878 at the historic New Orleans Mint, more than 270 million Morgans were melted down for their silver in 1921, making the surviving coins minted before that date among the rarest, most sought-after of all silver dollars. And the rarest of the rare are those minted in New Orleans."

You'd think they would know that there were no Morgans minted at New Orleans in 1878.

A mere fraction of all Morgans struck at mints throughout the U.S. have survived to this day. And the rarest of all are those with the "O" mintmark of the New Orleans Mint

This is the one statement that does bother me.

A mere fraction of all Morgans struck at mints throughout the U.S. have survived to this day. And the rarest of all are those with the "O" mintmark of the New Orleans Mint

This is the one statement that does bother me.

That's all, huh? To me, that's outright falsehoods. CCs are the rarest. And the first part is deliberately misleading. If 6/10s remains, of course that's "only a fraction." Even 9/10 is "only a fraction." But when you're starting out with 600,000,000, the coin still isn't rare if 200,000,000 of them are still around.

-William

I have no problem with such ads. If it weren't for deceptive advertising, how would the masses know for whom to vote, what to read, what to watch on television, what to drive, etc.?

If someone is foolish enough to believe such ads, too bad. Social and economic Darwinism. People should learn to be responsible for their own actions...though I don't see that becoming a trend any time soon these days.