• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1882 Carson City find

17 posts in this topic

I found this at a local coin shop. It is one of the nicest CC's i have seen in person, which is probably sad.

Any guess as to the grade? Would it be worth sending in to NGC?

Thanks in advance, Matt

CC002.jpg

CC004.jpg

Not much in the way of deep hits in the fields. A nice clean cheek. I could see this in a 65 holder.

If you submit it make sure to leave it in the GSA holder.

MS-63 - 64 appear to the most likely grades. The 1882-CC dollar was a GSA hoard coin, which means that Choice Mint State examples (MS-63-4) are not scarce. It's also one of the most common CC silver dollar dates along with 1883 and to a lesser extent, 1884. The grading services sometimes gave MS-65 grades to coins that were MS-64 IMO, but that was more dumb luck than anything else.

I'll go with MS-64 as well. 1882-CC surely has to be the most common GSA issue. Seems like literally half the GSAs I catalog are of that date!

In the Treasury release of the 70's, the 84-CC was the most abundant at 962,600; the 83-CC was next at 755,500 with the 82-CC trailing at 605,000.

Very nice Morgan. I go along with the MS64.

Chris

By the photo, it might go 65. Hits are minimal. Just can't tell about the luster and strike. At least a 64. It could be one where it depends on the graders mood. Its a close call. Good luck if you submit! As said earlier, please leave this GSA in the original government package...

Chet

Looks easily MS64 to me and definitely worth sending to NGC for certification.

As other's have noted leave it in the GSA holder as it will be worth more in the long run.

If you want to learn how to grade Morgans this is a pretty good reference...

http://www.pcgs.com/photograde/

Granted, it's provided by "the other guys" :whistle: but it's free and fairly accurate.

HiHoAudio, thanks for that link. That is a great tool. I still have a hard time telling some of the differences from one grade to the next as they seem so close. A few look better in the lower grade then one step up. Is it just me or do other struggle with some of the pictures?

To everyone who says to keep it in the original holder, is that to help preserve the originality? The history so to speak. I assume many people cracked them out and then sent the coins in for grading which as a result, they now cannot be associated with the GSA hoard.

Of the original 605,000, how many are thought to be out of the holders? Or how many are though to be kept the way the Government sold them?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but i sincerely wish to know the answers.

That is one of the reasons i like this forum over a few of the others out there. While there is a little infighting, this forum stays more as a source of information than a platform to flex egos.

Thanks for all of the info, help and opinions.

Sincerely, Matt

Looks like a solid MS64. No major focal area hits. Depending on luster it could limp in with a 65.

As suggested earlier, submitting in the GSA holder gives historical provenance and for some collectors adds value.

Welcome to the forum.

$ilverHawk

Thank you $ilverHawk.

The luster IMO, is better than my camera shows. I try to take photos with different light sources, but natural day light shows better than anything else for me.

This one shows it a little better i think.

Take care all, Matt

CC2ndtry005.jpg

CC2ndtry009.jpg

A little blurry, but more natural color using day light as the source instead of 40 watt incandescent.

I bet that coin looks great in hand. I am going to say borderline MS65 with only the luster and maybe the mark on the reverse in to the left of the eagle bringing it down to the 64.

Here is a link for one graded MS65 and if your has the luster I think it is there.

MS65 on Ebay

I think that seeing that coin makes me 100 percent sure im sending this one in next batch. I have some other Morgans Ive been wanting to send in. I have a few sitting there now "scheduled for grading" since early last month. Once those are back, i think ill send this one in.

I will also make sure to mark it so it stays in the GSA holder. I like the way the coins look in the GSA case better than in a normal NGC case.

Thanks for the great link, Matt

I think that seeing that coin makes me 100 percent sure im sending this one in next batch. I have some other Morgans Ive been wanting to send in. I have a few sitting there now "scheduled for grading" since early last month. Once those are back, i think ill send this one in.

I will also make sure to mark it so it stays in the GSA holder. I like the way the coins look in the GSA case better than in a normal NGC case.

Thanks for the great link, Matt

Matt,

Everyone has their own opinion of whether to keep it in the GSA holder or not. The problem with having it graded in the GSA case is that NGC does not guarantee the coin for condition or grade in the original case. Personally, I would rather have the GSA provenance on the NGC slab with the guarantee intact. Have you considered asking NGC if they would do this and return the case to you so you could keep it with the black box and COA?

Chris