• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A new purchase...

11 posts in this topic

Here's a new coin I just purchased. It's a 1884-O Morgan dollar MS62. The seller says it's a VAM-10, but I don't know what that is. It's a very nice coin, I hope it looks as good in person as it does in the photos.

589a8aa7414a6_72166-Morgan-1884O.jpg.04165f2fb484140342faf7ba4e200590.jpg

that's a very pretty Morgan! Congrats Joe! I just sent in an AU 1878 reverse of 1879 to ANACS, hope to see it again by the new year. I am like you and really don;t know much about the VAM numbers.

from the scan a really sweet eye appealling coin!!!!!!!!! wow you do not see 62's that look like that!

i bet it looks as good or better in person!!!!

sincerely michael

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

It's impossible to attribute your coin from the photos, but here's what distinguishes a VAM-10 1884-O:

Doubling on the front edge of the first cartilage rib of Liberty's ear (the cartilage ribs are the two semi-circular ridges at the back of her ear); diagonal die-polishing lines running SW to NE inside letters ERTY of LIBERTY; repunching of the mm visible inside the O as a disjointed arc that resembles the ends of a letter C.

This variety is one of the HOT-50, as designated in the book by Jeff Oxman. He gives a value in MS-62 of $30-34. Since NGC attributes TOP-100 and HOT-50 varieties, you can send this coin in to have the variety added under our Designation Review Service. The fee is $10, which includes the cost of reholdering.