• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PL Designation

7 posts in this topic

Does NGC give the PL designation to all coins or just certain coins?

If NGC doesn't give it to all series, is there any plan on expanding the PL designation in the near future?

Is the DPL designation only given to Morgan dollars or will NGC give the DPL designation to other series where the coin warrants is.

REPLY IN CAPS:

Does NGC give the PL designation to all coins or just certain coins? CERTAIN COINS ONLY SUCH AS MORGAN DOLLARS, SILVER COMMEMS 1892-1954 (THOUGH VERY FEW QUALIFY), STATEHOOD QUARTERS, AND SACS.

If NGC doesn't give it to all series, is there any plan on expanding the PL designation in the near future? NO PLANS, BUT IT IS POSSIBLE.

Is the DPL designation only given to Morgan dollars <YES> or will NGC give the DPL designation to other series where the coin warrants is. NOT AT THIS TIME, AND NO PLANS.

Since the PL designations are given to the early commems, is it possible to extend this designation into the modern commems?

Many of them come with PL surfaces. The Washington 50¢, World Cup $, 1984 Olympic $, and several more frequently come with strong PL fields. The Washingtons came be found with such reflective surfaces that they appear proof from a short distance and actually have a slight cameo appearance.

It'd be great to get these recognized since they bring a solid premium.

Great question. There are many examples of PL coins in the Jefferson nickel series, particularly post-1978, but some before. In the years 1965-67, I often have trouble distinguishing excellent PL business strikes from SMS strikes.

In the latter case, John, what does NGC do to separate some of those coins apart?

Hoot

Hooten and Greg,

Sorry for such a delay in coming back to your follow-up questions. Determining a decent PL finish from a coin that was intended to be a SMS issue can be quite difficult. Because the SMS issues were intended to be a collectible piece in the vein of proofs, I generally expect to see a coin that has sharp details, crisp rims, and smooth surfaces indicative of the SMS issues. Many of the PL looking coins that I have seen do not have the glassy smooth fields that I associate with the SMS issues.

Also, as I'm sure you both are aware, NGC now attributes PL and DPL to all US and world coins.

Rick

When can we expect the PL/DPL coins to show up in the pop report?

It's been over 2 months since the PL/DPL designation went into effect and I can't seem to find any of these coins in the pop report (other than the series previously awarded this designation). Am I just missing them or are they not yet included in the report?

Greg, Population data for PL and DPL designated coins will be available January, 2004. There should be a large enough group of coins graded at that time so the data is meaningful.