• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is something up at NGC?

24 posts in this topic

A coin like this (ANACS MS66 Old holder) won't get a star or a 66....

Testing2015.jpg

but these coins are getting stars??? Someone please explain to me how this makes any sense at all??? I am honestly open to your thoughts and ideas as I thought the 1881-S was about as sure a lock for a star as you could get with booming S mint luster and almost full rainbow toning on the obverse but NGC saw it differently. Is there any point in sending it back in for designation review?

d328_12.JPG

!BVnt5J!Bmk~$(KGrHgoH-CoEjlLl)2U9BKTYqPo!kQ~~_3.JPG

d167.jpg?t=1261526626

!Bn69ru!BGk~$(KGrHqEH-DcEtt9P3uwGBLlbgOD+yQ~~_12.JPG

!Bn+NzlwCGk~$(KGrHqEH-DkEtrgv9HwNBLlsyYdcUQ~~_12.JPG

d240.jpg?t=1261526626

d171.jpg?t=1261526626

!BoVT)z!BGk~$(KGrHqUH-CkEuZlFKgFSBLnGqwMdsg~~_12.JPG

4a20_12.JPG

I think the pattern of toning on the very first coin is slightly less attractive than a regular rainbow pattern, but that's just a matter of personal taste. Some folks go kookoo over it. That said, I agree that all of the coins you posted probably deserve a star designation.

. Is there any point in sending it back in for designation review?

No. Do you really think the high buyers for such a coin will care if t received a star or not? Shame on you for even asking.

It's not my coin, I submitted it for a friend and I know he is going to be majorly disappointed in the coin being downgraded from a 66 to a 65 and then not earning a star. For me it does not lessen the value of the coin...but I can't speak for him?

Just wondering if anyone has any success with designation reveiws....I will put you in the no success categorie Mark lol

Do you really think the high buyers for such a coin will care if t received a star or not? Shame on you for even asking.

Do you really think the high buyers for such a coin will care if it received a CAC sticker or not? Shame on you for even asking.

hm

Shane, what does the reverse of your friend's coin look like? I can't tell through the toning, but it looks like there may be some detracting marks on and above the eyebrow, above the jaw and maybe one on the upper lip. If I'm not imagining these, I could understand the downgrade.

Chris

Here is the reverse.......in hand the coin looks like a 66 there are a few lines on the chin and that's about it and the reverse is clean but......I forwarned the submitter that the coin could come back a 65 as these borderline coins can go either way. What wasn't in doubt in my mind was the star and I stand by the following statement...This coin is better then probably 70% of the current coins in star holders....

Consignments2006.jpg

My pictures didn't do the obverse any justice becuase these were litterally the first images I took with my new SLR so I was just leaning how to get the focus and lighting correct. It's an early S mint with booming luster so the color is like liquid. If they have graders that are going to determine eye appeal then somehow they have to find some consistency like not all 3 graders have to agree. Otherwise what happens is submitters start comparing their coins against other coins in this post and natually head scratching occurs hm (or chin scratching) :devil:

Do you really think the high buyers for such a coin will care if t received a star or not? Shame on you for even asking.

Do you really think the high buyers for such a coin will care if it received a CAC sticker or not? Shame on you for even asking.

hm

:sumo::devil:

It's not my coin, I submitted it for a friend and I know he is going to be majorly disappointed in the coin being downgraded from a 66 to a 65 and then not earning a star. For me it does not lessen the value of the coin...but I can't speak for him?

Just wondering if anyone has any success with designation reveiws....I will put you in the no success categorie Mark lol

Why didn't he just keep it as it was? If the images are accurate, I (and I'm sure, others) would have paid 66 money for it in the ANACS holder, and I would still do so in the NGC 65 holder

I guess he didn't like the old anacs holder....personally I don't either and I mistakenly thought that the coin was a no brainer 66*.....still do. Hindsight as they say is 20/20 and I know that I should never expect consistency with something as subjective as eye appeal but I doubt you could put any collector who likes toning in a room and have him not pick this as a star coin vs a high percentage of the other coins floating around in star holders. Is NGC saying that collectors can't judge eye appeal.....for me that's exactly what they did when this coin was passed over for the star. I usually agree or disagree and leave it at that but when I pay for an opinion at the doctors office I expect an expert opinion that won't leave me lying in the street when I walk out the door. When I pay NGC for an opinion on grade and eye appeal.....I expect some consistancy based on the standards they have been using...not a moving target. Remember this isn't about the grade...I discussed with the submitter than while I thought the coin was accurately grade....different tpgs have different grading standards so there was certainly a chance it would come back a 65.

Frankly it doesn't change the coin, not having the star but for some collector it is not only a source of extra profit if they ever sell...its a sense of pride in owning the coin with the star. I wonder how many collectors are going to give two shakes about the star if they continue to see dreck in star holders while stunners go unrewarded.

I send to NGC for two reasons...they offer the star which for me is a big deal since I only deal in toned coins....and becuase I love their customer service. I could absolutely get more money for my coins in PCGS holder so if I I can't get stars then lets just say my motivation towards NGC is slipping a bit.

Yes me too as I sent this coin in and it came back 67 FT but no star and I think the color is amazing??? maybe I am just nuts and I have lost my sense of what constitutes eye appeal :screwy:

1958MintSet17177.jpg

1958MintSet17179.jpg

Shane, the color on the dime is very attractive. But at least I can understand the lack of a star on it, due to its mottled appearance. The dollar, however, is an enigma.

Here's another just back from NGC without the Star. Finding a 56D Washington with this type of Rainbow color is tough. I thought this was a lock for the Star. I was wrong.

1956-D NGC MS66...

1956-D-25c-NGC-MS66.jpg

Here are two that did Star. I thought they had a 50/50 chance. I was wrong again.

1955 NGC MS67*...

1955-10c-NGC-MS67-Star.jpg

1952-D NGC MS67*FT...

1952-D-10c-NGC-MS67-Star-FT.jpg

I guess I should stop trying tofigure it out and just sumbit the coins to which ever service I prefer depending on if the coin is for my collection or for ebay sales....I give up on the stars as it seem more like a luck thing nowdays then something tangible that collectors can use their knowledge to seek out.

NGC does not consistantly apply the STAR designation. It has little to do with your own taste, and alot to do with what kind of mood the graders are in. Don't sweat it. I think I recognize a dime up above that NGC refused to STAR when I submitted it, that is now listed as a STAR coin, apparently after the new owner re-submitted it.

Good morning everyone. Its been a while since i visited the NGC boards. Hope everybody is in the best of health,mind and spirit. By the way thanks to Shane for everything . I own that beautiful Morgan on top. Star or no Star she is a Winner in my eyes. Here is my description when i presented her ATS. Regards to all...Joe

Link