• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some Neat Error Cents I Recently Acquired....

20 posts in this topic

Those are awesome, Charmy!

That size, 1200x960, is fine and is about the max without having to scroll back and forth.

Chris

What's a chain strike? Cool coins!

It's more or less a double strike without any detail on the second strike. Do you see the indent that's quite clear on the obverse? That's a second strike, but not from the die directly (or the part with the design).

Love those! I used to own a 1919 cent that was double struck, about 10% at 6 oc. Not sure if he still owns it, but it was a pretty cool coin.

They're all nice, but the indent off-center Lincoln cent is the most unusual of the 3. It's actually poorly described on the ANACS holder, and is worth more than the description would lead you to believe. The coin is actually indented by a fragment, and is not a conventional "planchet indent" as at least 97% of indents are. It's worth about $160. Neat piece!

They're all nice, but the indent off-center Lincoln cent is the most unusual of the 3. It's actually poorly described on the ANACS holder, and is worth more than the description would lead you to believe. The coin is actually indented by a fragment, and is not a conventional "planchet indent" as at least 97% of indents are. It's worth about $160. Neat piece!

I'm not convinced the indent is from a fragment; the fact that the indent ends in the unstruck area as an approximately straight line does not imply it. I have seen indents on off center coins overlapping the struck/unstruck interface having a few different ways with the indent ending; only one of them shows the entire curvature of the indenting planchet.

It is, still, however, quite a cool coin.

It almost looks like it was struck through a foldover strike.

A chain strike results when there are two planchets partially in the coining chamber at the same time. When they are struck the planchets expand toward each other , meet, and form a flat edge where the planchets meet. You might also describe two planchets that overlap and the overlapped area has a single strike as a chain strike. Basically the strike makes the two pieces at the same time like "links of a chain"

You're right except that chain-strikes are always "planchet-to-planchet", and never overlap. If the planchets overlapped (and if you had both coins), the set would be a mated pair. If you had two coins which where struck against each other (creating a pair of chain edge strike coins), you would have a set which would be called a chain-strike mated pair.

Jon