• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have you ever shown someone a coin, and they were bored to death with it?

17 posts in this topic

Have you ever shown someone (either coin collector or noncollector) a coin that you thought was valuable or interesting, and the other person was just totally uninterested? If so, what was the coin?

lol

a great interestintg thread! flowerred.gif

yes

a collector that was in his early 60's age wise

i showed him some years ago a mid to later 19th century monster deeply watery mirrored strongly cameoed choice to gem proof seated quarter with above average eye appeal

he looked at it for a few seconds and gave it back to me and said

oh a circulation strike quarter

michael

Yes, pretty much every time I show my girlfriend a coin. Occasionally I'll get a small amount of interest if it is a really colorful monster or a great design (usually foreign), but other than that, bored to death.

Most everything I show non collectors draws yawns, especially US stuff. The only thing I own that consistently wows non collectors are city view thalers and St. Gaudins $20.

-JamminJ

Have you ever shown someone (either coin collector or noncollector) a coin that you thought was valuable or interesting, and the other person was just totally uninterested? If so, what was the coin?

I get like that everytime someone shows me an overgraded certified coin! 27_laughing.gif

Or they're talking about their registry sets! 27_laughing.gif

I'm just totally uninterested!!! 27_laughing.gif

And why did the chicken cross the street? To get to the other side! 27_laughing.gif

Leo sleeping.gif

I showed a PF64 satin 1936 cent that was 90%red with no spots. Another collector saw it and said I can't believe they gave it a PF64 with a hairline on it. I told him, it is just a 64, it doesn't have to be perfect. He was completely unimpressed that it was a '36 satin proof. Come on, I'll bet he had never seen one before.

I showed my youngest daughter my buffalo nickel collection a while back. She replied, "Gosh dad, once you've seen one buffalo nickel, haven't you seen 'em all?" laugh.gif I truly about fell out of my chair (dying of laughter)!

Hoot

Not long ago I bought this coin and took it to work to show everyone. By the way, both pics are of the same coin but in different light. They looked at it, yawned, made some snide remarks, handed it back to me and went to lunch. What I think the problem is with these people, it's envy. And they just don't know how to respond with it without any prior knowledge on whether it's high grade, gorgeous, or a valuable coin. So getting high hopes and expecting the right response from those who could care less about coins, is self defeating to ones ego, especially mine! 27_laughing.gif

Image Hosting by Vendio

Click to view supersized image

Smart Services for Smart Sellers

Reliable image hosting provided by Vendio. Unlimited images for $12.95.

Image Hosting by Vendio

Click to view supersized image

Smart Services for Smart Sellers

Reliable image hosting provided by Vendio. Unlimited images for $12.95.

Leo

It was a trade $ in 62 and very nice. Friend thought it was a token and offer $3 for it confused.gif I told him I'd give 10 for any he found like it. He jotted it down and is looking 27_laughing.gif for some.

I remember taking a 1971-S PCGS PR69DCam Jefferson to work to show my co-workers what I collected. They looked only at the front of the slab, didn't even glance at the reverse, handed it back and said "Pretty". When I told them how much it was worth, they smiled and said "Why?".

Didn't bother to try to explain.

David

I got the same with a 1826 capped bust half in AU53. I was questioned with the "you paid how much for a 50 cent piece???"

I put it back in my case.

Oh well, you have to have the bug I guess grin.gif