• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

She came back in a Genie holder.... What do you think?

9 posts in this topic

Hey all, so my last NGC submission was kind of a bust, this little baby came back as cleaned, now i studied her under magnification and i couldn't find any hair lines. was the color the reason she got flagged?

96594.png.533f28aae9791827301796c73ed7e6e6.png

Get a free Photobucket account and import your image at 640x640.

Jason has a step by step thread here somewhere. I'm sure Jason will throw out a link for you. It's quite simple.

If the coin is MS then you wouldn't necessarily look for hairlines as a sign of cleaning as that technique is more for proof coins. Typically signs of cleaning on MS coins is impaired luster, unnatural color, dirt and other crud in the recessed areas like lettering and the date that might still be present on an otherwise very clean and untoned coins....and of course if the cleaning is sever enough you could see lines and scratches from an abraisive type cleaning.

I agree the pictures are too small to even make a guestimate as to what NGC saw....

The images are tiny, but it is rather curious that the whole coin is toned ... except for the eagle. Is it possible that reverse has been wiped, and that removed the patina from the high relief areas?

As an aside, it probably isn't worth the cost of certifying this particular coin, and certainly not worth spending money on a second attempt, unless we can clarify why or how it was cleaned.

was the color the reason she got flagged?

yes

unnatural color AND surfaces

STILL A DECENT COIN

possibly?you could dip it and retone??? hm so it will have a better look but without seeing the coin in hand the outcome is debatable and even in hand it is all an educated opinion