• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My toned 1936 walker Goodman style

17 posts in this topic

This miserably black coin that hides it's colors well has been unveiled thanks to Mark Goodman's book and the support and encouragement of Dr. Bob Stang aka supertooth. Last month I got some advice from the other board on what I needed to have to get the most out of my coin picture taking. Six hundred plus pictures later with a new camera, I'm getting better. Notice how the scratches on the plastic miraculously disappear using a different camera angle.

ott36heads.jpg

DSC_2609.jpg

Some may be turned off a bit by the spotty tone on center and right obverse but the left side of the coin makes up for it . I like the coin and love the beautiful left obverse color. Try using three lights, and angle the coin a bit. You need to get the lighting just right so you co not get that reflection in the lower part of the coin.

What type of lighting and camera are you using ?

Mark Goodman's book "Numismatic Photography" has played a BIG part in my photographic development. I still have a long way to go, but it has been immensely helpful. Practice makes perfect

Mark Goodman's book "Numismatic Photography" has played a BIG part in my photographic development. I still have a long way to go, but it has been immensely helpful. Practice makes perfect

I thought I was your Main influence for Coin Photography !

:roflmao:

I thought I was your Main influence for Coin Photography !

:roflmao:

Yeah, a BAD influence!! lol

Just kidding Mark, you're advice & help is always appreciated :)

Hello Folks---- Gary Sullivan is my oldest Walker buddy. We met many years ago as I bought a VF 1923S and a VF 1920S Walker from him on Ebay.

We ended up talking and we have been talking ever since. We now talk about many things in addition to our Walkers.

Since we were both collecting our sets back then, we had to be careful not to bid against one another. So, we both decided to be totally fair to one another. It worked out great as we have NEVER bid against one another on a coin.

Our interests were slightly different and that helped us as well.

Recently I encouraged Gary with the picture taking. I knew that Gary could take "excellent" pictures. And, I knew that he wouldn't "JUICE" his photos. I kept pestering him as I knew that he had the patience and dedication that was required.

I hope that what will happen is that Gary will share his vast VARIETY of Walkers with us---without doing anything more than just taking pictures.

It "IS NOT" important whether you like or dislike any of Gary's coins. It is important that his pictures can show you his coin----out in the open----no tricks. It is my hope that he will take pictures of his "whiter" coins----take pictures of other PCGS and NGC graded Walkers---take pictures of toned coins as well. Again, it isn't whether you like his coins or not. It is that you will be able to see the coins as they are---without alterations. And thereby you can make judgements on the coin's surfaces---details or lack of details on the Walker's head and thumb separation etc.etc.

Then, you can decide if a certain piece is a coin that you just love----or a coin that you don't like. You will see how both PCGS and NGC have graded coins in the past----and maybe how you hope that they will grade them in the future.

This collector has a vast variety of "ALL KINDS" of Walkers. He buys what he likes. I do hope that he will share the whole spectrum of what he owns with us. Good collecting to all of you. Bob [supertooth]

Bob, the best way I can share my coins is through my registry sets. I have one NGC and two PCGS walker sets with no duplicates between the sets. I specialize in collecting toned coins and have pictures of most of them though now I'll be retaking pictures of some of them. I have the number 11 and 62 rated PGCS sets for the complete series with major varieties and number 47 on the NGC registry. I recently purchased a Nikon D60 camera and a 105mm macro lens that I use in the manual mode. I'm trying different kinds on lighting and so far find that no one type works on all coins. Home Depot is loving me right now. I just finished taking a picture of the reverse to the 1936 coin and I had to use a different light source then the one I used for the obverse to get the results I wanted. I asked my wife what she thought of the coin and after seeing it on my monitor said it was hideous. Believe it or not the only thing I did to this picture is crop it. Gary

DSC_2672.jpg

Bob wanted me to post a picture of a shinny white coin and this is the closest I have to one. So far I have used Ott lights, 100w reveal bulbs and CFL (compact florescent lights) depending on the coins luster and toning.

DSC_2691.jpg

DSC_2702.jpg