• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your opinion, please - which is the cent?

Which is the real cent?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the real cent?

12 posts in this topic

Let's say, for arguments sake, that a collector wanted to add a wrong planchet error to their Lincoln cent collection. Should they choose a cent minted on a dime (or small foreign) planchet, or should it be a larger denomination minted on a cent planchet?

#1 is the only option that makes sense because........

1) You've stated that the collector wanted to do it.

2) It is a Lincoln cent collection, so Option #2 would not be a Lincoln cent. It would only be a planchet with another denomination on it.

3) The rest of the options are immaterial.

Chris

If I were doing a Lincoln collection, I would probably do the Lincoln struck on a dime - its the picture of Lincoln you want, not the planchet. There was a recent collection auctioned on Heritage of a nearly complete date and mintmark run of Lincolns struck on off-planchets. The most incredible example was a Lincoln struck on a dime graded by Anacs as Prooflike!

I think it would be cool to have a clad Lincoln. :headbang:

....WE DO! we have a zinc planchet clad with copper! doh!

OK, then maybe a pre-1964 silver Lincoln cent. None of that cheap stuff.04.gif

I've seen more cents struck on dime planchets than any other off metal cent related error. Many years ago there close to a complete set by date and mint of Lincoln cents struck on dime planchets. It won first prize for good reason.

Any of the larger denominations would have to be struck out of the collar. The plancets for everything except the dime are too large to fit in the cent collar. For that reason I would question their authenticity. To me the cent on a dime planchet is the way to go.

Initially I would say that the cent on the dime blank would be the way to go. And it would be nice to add. Of course, I see no reason not to also include a larger coin struck on a cent blank (the coin dated after 1909, of course). So I picked "I could go either way." Just be aware that errors can be quite addicting.

Option #1 for me. If it fell of the cent dies, then it is a cent error. What if it was struck on a banana peel? It would still be a cent error. But dies not intended to strike a cent that strike a cent planchet would not be a cent error.

I would say that you want the denomination not the planchet. So a roosevelt on a copper planchet would not be a cent. They were trying to make a dime and the material was in error. A cent error is where they were trying to make a cent, and an error occurred, in my opinion...