• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Care to grade my Early Commemorative?

16 posts in this topic

I normally don't buy commemoratives but I like the toning of this one. I know that the 1893 Columbian Expostion's are quite common but I got a decent price for this one. It is housed in a old ANACS holder and it has nice lustre on both the obverse and reverse. Has it got a chance of getting a star designation? Is it even worth the cost to crossover? I will reveal the grade in several days. Your opinions are much appreciated.

1893C-1.jpg

1893C-2.jpg

If the coin gets an MS-64, it is marginally worth sending in for a cross-over. If it only gets an MS-63, it is not worth it. Given what I have seen from the TPG grading of some Columbians, I'd say this one would be touch and go for an MS-64.

This 1892 Columbian was submitted three times to PCGS. It came back MS-63 all three times. I think that it is wonderful coin, but MS-63 was all they would give it.

ColumbianO.jpgColumbianR.jpg

above average lustre and eye appeal

au-58++

i would leave it right where it is in the older anx holder as the coin stands on its own merits and worth more as such right where it is

I'm the wet blanket, this time. I believe it would be a "no grade" due to questionable toning.

Either way, these are just far too common to be slabbed in almost any grade, in my opinion. Even in MS-65, I've found it practically impossible to retail at 10% back of bid.

Hope I'm wrong if you do decide to cross it!

It looks as though the images are severely overlit, but I am in the high end AU to low end MS crowd and believe the coin was dipped thoroughly and has acquired secondary toning. These are low priced issues for a good reason and that is because they are quite common with a wide array of appearances.

I'm the wet blanket, this time. I believe it would be a "no grade" due to questionable toning.

I regretibly agree, I had a half dime with the same type of album toning get AT at the ANA show.

I do have to say that I love the look of the coin. (thumbs u

It's a nice coin, and I'd leave it where it is. The picture of the coin in the slab shows enough tick marks to make it an MS-63 at best and no more. Therefore having it placed in another holder would be a waste of money.