• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My U.S. copper coin pickups from the Ft. Worth ANA show.

24 posts in this topic

I figured I would post some of my newps from the ANA show. Not really much but I think I did well with the limited amount of funds I arrived with.

I find it interesting that at the end of the first day I decided to take some quicky pictures of the coins just using my camera hand held in "auto" mode, with a table top lamp in the hotel room. These turned out to be the best coin pictures I have ever taken. doh!

Newps from the first day.

NGC MS62BN 1854 cent. Bought from Chris (Bartlesvilleok).

IMG_2786a.jpgIMG_2785a.jpg

NGC MS64RB 1904 cent Bought from Charmy Harker (The Penny Lady) In hand this cent has exactly the look I was wanting in a RB cent for my registery type set.

IMG_2782a.jpgIMG_2783a.jpg

I also picked up a couple of HTT tokens I have been wanting for a while.

IMG_2792a.jpgIMG_2793a.jpg

IMG_2814a.jpgIMG_2815a.jpg

Your last piece, which is Hard Times Token Low # 53, is interesting. Although the token is in a low grade, I've never seen a really nice one. The Low #53 in my collection is only a little better.I think that Low #53 was a 19th century knock-off of Low # 51 which was issued first. Here is a nice example of Low #51.

Low51O.jpgLow51R.jpg

The historian, Samuel Elliot Morrison, claimed that this token marked the introduction of the Donkey Party donkey. It looks as though a less talented die sinker admired Edward Hulseman's "Jackson - jack token, and made one for general distribution. Hulseman, who was from Attleboro, Massachusetts, signed his piece with an "H", which is below the money chest on the obverse. Your piece is not signed.

Thanks guys! Overall, I really enjoyed myself at the show. I have never been to a coin show quite this large and it was quite overwelming. There was deffinetly a lot of eye candy to behold. It was also pretty neat to see the coins "in the flesh" of some of the high end dealers versus just looking at pictures online.

I was also able to find and purchase some items that are not typical of what is availible in my area. I have always been interested in starting a collection of the larger mint made medals and it was nice to be able to see what these things really look like in hand. I have always been interested in exonumia and it was nice to interact with some dealers that specialize in these things. I even bought a beautiful english Queen Victoria medal while I was there.

Bill, thank you very much for the information. I always learn something worth while from your posts. (thumbs u

Nice coins and when I saw Chris hand that large cent to you I thought to myself, man why didn't he show that to me first!! :)

Anyhow, it was great to meet you and I thoroughly enjoyed the show.

Here are a couple of my the coins I picked up as well. Hope you like them as much as I do.

95543.jpg.7ff229b81622d03ed3212e381db732ae.jpg

95544.jpg.b524752539123b1fb0499d3c7e0e8961.jpg

95545.jpg.a0b361c935f9a44e2f8073d65b65225f.jpg

95546.jpg.67cc978a915970a44623566724ce4cd8.jpg

Nice pickups Sam. What was it about those early 1970's proofs that caused that kind of toning? I really like it. Some are quite spectacular.

What was it about those early 1970's proofs that caused that kind of toning? I really like it. Some are quite spectacular

I think that it must have had something to do with either the liner that is in the Ike dollar Proof coin cases or the solution they used to clean the planchets. It seems like well over half of the Ikes that were kept in the mint holders now have this type of toning or haze.

I have always been interested in starting a collection of the larger mint made medals and it was nice to be able to see what these things really look like in hand.

The 19th century mint medals are really cool. Given their rarity they are a lot less expensive than coins. Here are a couple.

The U.S. mint cabinet

USMintCabnetO.jpgUSMintCabnetR.jpg

The June 1864 Philadelphia Sanitary Fair

PhilSanFairO.jpgPhilSanFairR.jpg

An easy thing to learn is the ability to tell the differnece between the finish on the 19th century pieces at the modern "yellow bronze" pieces. There a huge difference in price. This FDR 1933 inaugural medal is yellow bronze. This happens to be an expensive medal (several hundred dollars), but most of the yellow bronze pieces, especially the copies of the 19th century designs are not.

FDR1933O.jpgFDR1933R.jpg

Very nice Examples Bill (thumbs u

Is there a standard refrence book I should look for?

Nice coins Sam! I really like that half dollar.

Your last piece, which is Hard Times Token Low # 53, is interesting. Although the token is in a low grade, I've never seen a really nice one. The Low #53 in my collection is only a little better.I think that Low #53 was a 19th century knock-off of Low # 51 which was issued first. Here is a nice example of Low #51.

It looks as though a less talented die sinker admired Edward Hulseman's "Jackson - jack token, and made one for general distribution. Hulseman, who was from Attleboro, Massachusetts, signed his piece with an "H", which is below the money chest on the obverse. Your piece is not signed.

I looked at mine when I got off of work last night and it does indeed have the "H" It is just not very apparent in the photo.

Micheal, I absolutely love the large cent. I assume that mostly the weak strike holds the grade back. It is a great fully original piece.

The hard times tokens that are political in nature, like the two shown here, are wonderful to decipher. For example, the L.L.D. on the donkey is an allusion to Jackson's award of an honorary doctorate of laws by Harvard University, even though he was accused of being nearly illiterate (he was a frontier lawyer, and looked down upon by city lawyers).

ray the large cent is a truly beautiful way above average eye appealling coin

i love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the coin transends the grade the eye appeal is gem 65 on this large cent

totally value opportunity undervalued coin

you usually dont see them this nice with regards to eye appeal as usually half of the higher ms 65 coins i see are'nt as nicely pleasing eye appealling as your ms 64

Very nice Examples Bill (thumbs u

Is there a standard refrence book I should look for?

Nice coins Sam! I really like that half dollar.

The most comprehensive reference is Medals of the United State Mint The First Century 1792 - 1892 by R.W. Julian.

It is large format book with history and write-ups and is a good way to get started. I think that it is still available from numismatic book sellers.

why not

ode to a braided head large cent

beautiful large cent why are you so unloved by the EAC brethern

why oh why are you held with such distain

as compaired to your earlier pre 1814 brothers

in many ways you are just as beautiful

and due to better

materials, manufacture and handling at the mint

more available and less expensive in unc.

offering a much appealing

opportunity and value

why oh why tender braided hair large cent

are you so under-appreciated and

misunderstood