• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 1939-D Jefferson Type 1 with "Wavy-Steps"

8 posts in this topic

The 1939-D Jefferson Type 1 with "Wavy-Steps"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 1939-D Jefferson alone is pretty Tough to find, let alone,tryin' to find one with a type-1- with-Steps! To the Jeff/Collector's out here,

I'm putting in a photo of this 1939-D-Rev38'/ for you to see. I haven't seen any quite like this in a long time, especially going all the way across like this one. I don't see any intrusions, or any marks, that might be questionable, IMO...

Yes,These Steps' appear mushy and not clearly defined. The steps are uneven and (wavy) and the indentations between the steps vary in depth. Also the steps are not always worn away, quite often they were incomplete when they were minted. IMO'?> 1938 nickels are elusive and so are the 1939's. This is partly the reason for the reworked dies of 1940.

I firmly' believe, full step nickels from 1938 and 1939 with the steps of 1938 are so undervalued.

I realize, it's very hard to actually grade a coin, without having it in hand. I know from just looking at it , if it's not a FS ,,,it's right there! Bein' as close as one can get. I also thought about sending it in to either PCGS or' NGC . Or It just might be better, to put it in my Rare/Raw Section of Jeffs'...

Well, you seem to know all the crazy variety designations that occurred in 1939, but a picture is worth while to continue this discussion.

That's not a great picture to see what you're referring to.

I'm interested in this variety as I am working on a Jefferson set, mid MS and PRs and would like to learn more about the wavy-steps type 1 of that year. Especially since Redbook has nothing on it listed in their guide.

That's not a great picture to see what you're referring to.

I'm interested in this variety as I am working on a Jefferson set, mid MS and PRs and would like to learn more about the wavy-steps type 1 of that year. Especially since Redbook has nothing on it listed in their guide.

All of the Jefferson Nickels minted in 1939 across all three mints used one of two reverses. The original reverse known as the Reverse of 38 is the one with the wavy steps. The second reverse known as the Reverse of 40 has a even steps with vertical lines that bookend the steps giving a defined start and end to the steps. Here are some photos that may help you see the difference.

JeffersonNickel1939-DRevof38NGCM-14.jpg

JeffersonNickel1939Rev40NGCMS665FS.jpg

If you can't discern the difference from these photos, feel free to take a look at my registry set. Each coin has photos that are 700 x 700.