• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Bicentennial Guess the Grade and Overton!!!

13 posts in this topic

Ok, picked this one up today at a coin show, I liked the strike and the luster/toning along the edge. So let me know your thoughts on the Overton and grade!

95286.jpg.19c669e5535272a73c78dfb20caef94c.jpg

95287.jpg.f746aa77a4c095ba739a9fc3fd3fc1c0.jpg

I would say Overton 106a with the flattened rim (Obverse 5, Reverse F). It is rated as an R-3.

As to the grade, I'd go with VF-30. I know the coin has some luster hidden luster in the protected area of letters, but the detail is not there to call this an EF.

If the missing details is strike related, this may make a 45 at the grading services...hard to tell for certain from the pics, but I would say this is closer to AU than VF.

Thanks everyone, Dave, do you agree with this being an O-106a? I was sort of torn between the 106a and the 110, but leaning toward the former.

It's 106--probably the a die state.

An interesting little tidbit about attributing 1810s...

The upper inner point of star 13 is scalloped on the O-105 DM, the O-108 DM, and the O-110 DM. The outside point of star 13 is scalloped on the other die marriages.

Ok, here is NGC's opinion on this one: O-106a, VF Details, Improperly Cleaned

Once again, we'll have to agree to disagree...