• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions on Jefferson Nickel Toning

12 posts in this topic

I bought this one the other day because of the brightness of the gold toning and brilliant blue toning splotches. The coin is relatively clean and appears to have very strong steps, though not noted on the holder. What I am struggling with is how the toning pattern developed. A couple of areas look like it may have been in contact with a bag or other cloth material.

Comments welcome.

94832.jpg.d9ca45d231c1d8b97754050e73174a96.jpg

94833.jpg.610ac4e5cedb876818b0f65a63f6642b.jpg

Hmmm... that looks unusual. I'll wait for the nickel guys to show up (hopefully Lehigh will see this thread), but my first reaction was that its some sort of residue. Its unusual to have just isolated patches of very thick/dark toning like that. As far as I know, Jeffs didn't spend long periods in bags. Is it graded?

I saw a Buffalo nickel last month with a similar pattern, but not as appealing as yours. The dealer suspected that an improper mixture or annealing process caused some parts to tone, while others were left original. As an aside, he was selling the coin with a large premium attached.

I agree with Jason and James......something was on the planchet when it got struck or somthing dripped on the coin post minting the caused the metal to tone in those spots. So whether it be grease, rinse etc...it was some type of residue on the coin that caused the toning (thumbs u

The area directly in front of Jefferson’s face appears to be a course textile weave, it could have simply arose from an oily/greasy rag temporarily tossed into a bin of freshly struck silver War Nickels (the Uhlhorn style coin presses from this era had automatic oilers and grease gun fittings)

To me this type of toning is unique, but I for one would not go out of my way to collect something of this nature, I do however like the grade evaluation.

I like it because it's a Jefferson war nickel. I don't feel it's attractive in the traditional sense, but I still like the look because it's unusual. Maybe the steps wouldn't satisfy the Jefferson nickel purist, but the steps on this coin are good enough for me.

Thanks for the opinions. To be honest, I originally only bought the coin because it was so cheap. I saw the toning spots in the pictures, but had no idea that the coin is almost a bright yellow gold and the toning spots are very vivid blue / purple. I don't have much luck taking real good pictures, but I think this is the brightest gold toned war nickel I have ever seen. I also did not realize how good the steps were until after I saw them on the pictures when I uploaded them onto my computer! I was so mesmerized with the toning I didn't even think to look at the steps.

Agree, the toning pattern isn't all that appealling, but what a great strike. This is a coin that earns its grade on a superior strike.

Solid buy.

Hawk

I see more oddly toned war nickels than others

I suspect it is due to metal coalescing and planchet ingredient streaking