• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

School Auction Basket

19 posts in this topic

Our local elementary school is holding an auction next month to raise money for renovating the playground. I put together a coin collector basket with treasures for the

beginning through intermediate numismatist.

Coin Collector’s Basket

Treasures for the beginner to intermediate collector

US Coins included

1846 Large Cent

1857 Flying Eagle Small Cent

1903 Indian Head Cent

1909 VDB Lincoln Cent

1943 Steel Cent

2010 Lincoln Cent, Shield Reverse

1936 Indian Head Nickel

1943 P War Nickel

1943 Mercury Dime

1907 D Barber Half Dollar

1942 Walking Liberty Half Dollar

1959 D Franklin Half Dollar

1921 D Morgan Dollar

1924 Peace Dollar

1972 D Eisenhower (Ike) Dollar

2010 Presidential Proof Dollars (not visible, inside of basket)

Books Included

2010 Official Red Book, A Guide Book of United States Coinage

The Instant Coin Collector – Everything You Need to Know to Get Started Now

The Official Red Book Coin Collector’s Inventory (not visible, inside basket)

Coin Albums

Coins of the Twentieth Century

Washington Quarters 1999-2003, 2004-2008 and 2009 Territorial Quarters

National Park Quarters Collector Folder

Statehood Quarters Collector Folder

Miscellaneous

Anco 3.5 Inch Magnifying Glass

Red Cardboard Coin Storage Box (not visible, inside basket)

Cent/Dime coin holders (not visible, inside basket)

Four Quarter Size Coin Tubes

The winning bidder will also receive a two hour coin consultation PLUS a $50 coin purchasing trip to _____ Coins in ________ with the donor.

I'm hoping to interest another budding numismatist or two into deeper involvement in the hobby we enjoy.

Any thoughts on this?

94609.jpg.bdad46790df6d81235dd3aef4f36eb65.jpg

94610.jpg.53c3b5bb8bea49a3c3106a6ba4ff92fc.jpg

94611.jpg.2cb7b17036c57f49ca57d1ee70d34328.jpg

94612.jpg.6ffa4baaa986f5cf3b939f132f85fa2d.jpg

I agree, a great idea, wonderful gesture and a very good way to peak the interest of a young current collector or future collector. A great assortment overall.

Rey

this deserves a ttt

and also this should be the standard in numismatic prizes/giveaways/fund raising auctions as it not only raises money but promotes the hobby it an extremely positive way

and it seems to me that when all is said and done this lot in the charity auction will BRING STRONG BIDS

SO EVERYONE WINS

Thanks for your comments. The auction will be held on April 10. I'm looking forward to the outcome and will let you know how much it raised.

Preliminary Auction Results:

The auction netted around $30,000. The St. Louis Cardinal's Cardinal Care charity gave a grant of 2,000. Another group is matching funds for another $8,500. Grand total will be in the $40K range.

The coin basket was a silent auction item. I don't know who won it yet but I'm told that it took in $200+ I'll let you know when I get the final report and learn who purchased it. I had a little over that in the basket not counting my consultation time and trip to a local coin store which brings my investment into the basket around $290. No children attended the auction. I'm hoping that someone purchased it with their child in mind.

A retired MLB pitcher from the Giants (Kirk Reuter) donated many autographed items from men like Willy Mays, Albert Pujols, Stan Musial, Elle McPherson, and Barry Sanders, just to name a few. Kirk's wife was a major worker behind the scenes for this event.

I was only able to attend the opening and the last part of the called auction. Everyone I've spoken to had a good time. The playground will receive a significant upgrade.

The basket sold for $225 to a family with three children, one son and two daughters. The mom has coins she has inherited but does not know what they are or what they may be worth. The "consultation" included with the basket will no doubt be an evaluation of what they already own.