• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1910 VDB Lincoln Proof

23 posts in this topic

Yea, I can see where he'd think that with the satiny and grainy appearance of the coin! Seriously doubt it could be environmental damage or anything else causing that!!

That is not a matte proof. It is a highly circulated and environmentally damaged cent. It is an authentic 1910 worth about 1.8¢ of copper. The VDB on 1909 cents was removed after a month of minting at the BEGINNING of the year, and thus 1909 plain cents are more common. There are NO know 1910 VDB cents, as the VDB had already been removed from the hub almost all of the preceding year.

Cheers,

Posted as question...

haha

The fact is, there are 1910 cents with faint details of VDB,...

...but no one has been able to see them, and none have been certified authentic. The truth is that the reverse hub was modified in August 1909, and then replaced with a lower relief version at the end of the month. Reverse dies thereafter did not have the initials.

The fact is, there are 1910 cents with faint details of VDB, but that does not make them proof in the least.

Just like there are other denominations with "phantom" mintmarks from previous master dies. Doesn't make them any more of that mint than a 1910 VDB. A genuine one would have raised metal.

That kind of mis-representation can get the seller into big trouble. What if, someone buys it for some ridiculous price, sends it to a TPG, where it is slabbed as 1910 AG2, not proof? Someone who has big money would also have money to get a lawyer and take this dude into a big mess. Worthwhile watching this one... lol

I cannot help but wonder if people put up these bogus ads for attention; it also makes me wonder whether we should feed that narcissist desire by giving the attention that they crave.

Think about it terms of marketing - once you see one bogus ad, it is human nature to view the rest of the seller's items. Those may be legit, and if so, the seller has managed to generate an enormous amount of traffic to his legitimate auctions. It's distasteful, but I wonder if there are any statistics to back up this idea.

The VDB on 1909 cents was removed after a month of minting at the BEGINNING of the year,

They didn't strike 1909 Lincolns early in the years. They weren't released until Aug 2nd and none were probably coined until late July.

The Q&A in the auction is priceless:

"You seem concerned and angry about what looks like a scam that im running..."

Production of 1909-VDB cents began in June 1909 at the Philadelphia Mint. (See "Renaissance of American Coinage 1909-1915" for details.)

The VDB on 1909 cents was removed after a month of minting at the BEGINNING of the year,

They didn't strike 1909 Lincolns early in the years. They weren't released until Aug 2nd and none were probably coined until late July.

'

Should have been more specific. They removed it at the beginning of the production run.

He's asking $21 million, and I made a best offer of $2.10. He countered with $100,000, and I countered with $7.75. He didn't accept my offer. :(

lol

Haha! he countered with $100,000!!!